Post processor

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
cncfan
Model of CNC Machine: Romaxx HS1

Post processor

Post by cncfan »

Looking at the tool path output I thought it would be easy to add M3 and M5 command.

I want to start the spindle (hp router) when I do a "Cycle Start" in Mach3, and stop the spindle at the end of the job using M03 and M05 commands in the post processor.

To make a long story short, I thought this would be "easy". Loaded the lua file of the post processor. What poped up on my computer display gave me an O sh^% moment. Shortly followed up by, O well another idea out the window.

Later in the day when I was setting on my back porch counting the number of blue cars passing by on the other side of the fence I thought maybe there is a way other than what I was looking at.

All this brought me here asking.

Is it possible to configure Mach 3 by way of port/pins to do what I am asking. ie: Start xxxx and stop xxxx at end of job OR easy way to add the commands m03/m05 to the PP.

I thought I could do this with the tool change options under The General config options. I could only get the spindle going when I did a "Reset". This works but most times I want Mach3 ready to go when I press cycle start without having to press reset then cycle start.
Yes I am lazy. Get my age you are not sure what action will be your last so I like to conserve.

Any suggesting will be appreciated.

Added note: Years ago I though I had this set up to start the spindle when I hit cycle start. Now I am wondering if I ever did.

Windows 10
Mach3
ESS Smothsepper. interface
Romaxx CNC machine

AboveCreations
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: i2r B22

Re: Post processor

Post by AboveCreations »

cncfan wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:47 am
Looking at the tool path output I thought it would be easy to add M3 and M5 command.

I want to start the spindle (hp router) when I do a "Cycle Start" in Mach3, and stop the spindle at the end of the job using M03 and M05 commands in the post processor.

Is it possible to configure Mach 3 by way of port/pins to do what I am asking. ie: Start xxxx and stop xxxx at end of job OR easy way to add the commands m03/m05 to the PP.

Any suggesting will be appreciated.

Windows 10
Mach3
ESS Smothsepper. interface
Romaxx CNC machine
I am not sure what you mean "by way of ports/pins". I am not a mach3 expert but I can tell you that any toolpath file created for mach3 is simply a pure text (ascii) file. After Vcarve creates the toolpath file, you can simply open that file up with any text editor (such as Windows Notepad program). I hope this helps.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Have you read the Post Processor editing guide on the Help menu? They really are pretty simple when you read that and look at the file at the same time.

Unless I'm missing something though the Mach3 post processors already have M03 commands in them at the appropriate spots.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

This needs to be set up in mach3 if it is then the current post processors for mach3 will work fine. Not used mach3 for quite some time so can't give you a detailed explanation of how to set it up but the mach support site would probably be the best place to look. :lol: :lol:
You may need to add extra hardware to get proper spindle control, never used a router personally as I fitted a spindle & VFD to my machine when I rebuilt it. :lol: :lol:

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

Are you using a router and not a spindle? Most controllers usually require special hardware for controlling a router.
Steve

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

SteveNelson46 wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:43 pm
Are you using a router and not a spindle? Most controllers usually require special hardware for controlling a router.
even with a spindle you need to add a cable & serial connection to link to the VFD, with a router for speed control I am sure fixitMike has talked about using a superpid in the past :lol: :lol: :lol:

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

If your router is plugged into a 110 volt power source you need to turn on/off that power source.

I don't know a lot about that sort of thing, but maybe a 24v solenoid to turn on/off the 110v power. I believe there should be a connection on your break out board to get the 24v signal from.

I run Mach3, but I have a spindle with VFD. Mach3 is in fact capable to start/stop the spindle, so I an certain is sends a signal through to the BOB.

There should be several access points on your BOB to do several things like that. Turn coolant on/off - turn air blast on/off - or any number of activities.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

Leo wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:26 pm
If your router is plugged into a 110 volt power source you need to turn on/off that power source.

I don't know a lot about that sort of thing, but maybe a 24v solenoid to turn on/off the 110v power. I believe there should be a connection on your break out board to get the 24v signal from.

I run Mach3, but I have a spindle with VFD. Mach3 is in fact capable to start/stop the spindle, so I an certain is sends a signal through to the BOB.

There should be several access points on your BOB to do several things like that. Turn coolant on/off - turn air blast on/off - or any number of activities.
Your right Leo, depends on the controller/bob you have, a lot will have a relay (or relay's) capable of mains power, some require you add a relay, I have 2 relays on my particular bob, one controls power to my VFD & the other the water pump for my spindle cooling
Relays can be 5, 12 or 24V I believe, 24v is normally recommended for anything to do with CNC control. :lol: :lol: