Sheets are a great idea unless you want to use more than one STL model in your design

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
mrmfwilson
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Arty 36

Sheets are a great idea unless you want to use more than one STL model in your design

Post by mrmfwilson »

Sheets are great. Not being able to import more than one STL model per file is still problem for me in my design process. I really can't take advantage of the sheets for most of my projects. I realize that I can do what I need to in Aspire but I already have an investment in software to to do 3D modeling. I'm a very small business and I do many different things that I use 3D modeling for. If I were to spend the $1600 to upgrade to Aspire, I would rather use that much money to purchase a better real 3D modeling package that I could use for other projects. I feel like this issue has no basis other than forcing someone to purchase your more expensive software that is less capable than most other real 3D software products.
Mr. Wilson
CenterLine Designs
Facebook - Centerline Designs

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Re: Sheets are a great idea unless you want to use more than one STL model in your design

Post by adze_cnc »

The new sheets implementation is great. If only I could convince my "powers that be" to authorize an upgrade from v9.5 to the new v11.

I'm afraid your rant is bound to fall upon deaf ears here as this board is user to user (mostly). If you really want to be heard try: support@vectric.com

Having said that. With toolpath templates and various other techniques the lack of being able to import more than one STL file (or Rhinoceros 3D native files as I do) is inconsequential. If I need multiple models in a cut job I will composite them in the 3D software and bring that model into VCarve.

For that matter there was a time when double-sided 3D wasn't possible and we adapted.

mrmfwilson
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy Arty 36

Re: Sheets are a great idea unless you want to use more than one STL model in your design

Post by mrmfwilson »

I agree. I can still do it the old way. I just wanted to use the organization that the layers feature now offers. There are plenty of other features that I really like about V11. Rest machining is my favorite. How about one STL per layer? That would suit me. I need to use different models that fit together. Say for a top, sides and back of a box that has concave sides, convex front and back and and convex top. Then be able to add the Design and Make models to the parts. Just a simple example. I'll send in my request.
Mr. Wilson
CenterLine Designs
Facebook - Centerline Designs