fingerpull vectors

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Kevin Jenness
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger II SR48

fingerpull vectors

Post by Kevin Jenness »

I want to use a custom bit like a t-slot cutter to machine a fingerpull in a set of veneered panels. The bit will enter from the side of the panels and due to the nature of my router and the size of the bit I want to make the cut in relatively small passes. I did not enter a profile bit but used the small diameter of the bit speced as a 3/4" endmill. The issue I am having is that despite the vectors for each pass being separated by .020" the preview shows most of the passes starting and ending at the inside corners of the vectors rather than at the start points. Is this because the vectors are too close together? I began with all the vectors having the same start and end points which resulted in all but the first pass starting and ending inside the desired path. Is there a minimum distance required or is there another factor I am overlooking? Perhaps I am on the wrong track altogether. I did not do a pocket toolpath as the initial entry cut would be larger than I want.
bath fingerpulls 2.crv
(45.5 KiB) Downloaded 63 times

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Re: fingerpull vectors

Post by adze_cnc »

Kevin Jenness wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:00 am
The issue I am having is that despite the vectors for each pass being separated by .020" the preview shows most of the passes starting and ending at the inside corners of the vectors rather than at the start points.
I'm not too sure what the "inside corners" of an open line could be but my preview shows everything to be fine:
Circled area indicates toolpath start points (green squares)
Circled area indicates toolpath start points (green squares)
Circled area on left (vertical white lines) shows the starting plunge of toolpath elements. Circled area on right (vertical "greenish" lines) shows end of toolpath pass rising up to horizontal line for movement over to the left.
Circled area on left (vertical white lines) shows the starting plunge of toolpath elements. Circled area on right (vertical "greenish" lines) shows end of toolpath pass rising up to horizontal line for movement over to the left.

Kevin Jenness
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Kevin Jenness »

adze,

Thanks for your response. My concern is that the animated preview showed the tool starting and ending in the radiused corners of most of the vectors. I will try running the toolpath on scrap material to see what actually happens.

jimandi5000
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Home Made 60 x 120

Post by jimandi5000 »

Do you want a gadget to make these pulls?
Thanks,
Jim

Tex_Lawrence
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko3XXL; JTech7W; V-CarvePro 11.554

Post by Tex_Lawrence »

Kevin Jenness wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:47 am
... My concern is that the animated preview showed the tool starting and ending in the radiused corners of most of the vectors. I will try running the toolpath on scrap material to see what actually happens.
Kevin, turn on node edit mode (N). You will see where the starting points are set. Keyword there is "set", because you can set those starting points where you want them. Right-Click on any point to get a menu (and the quick key) choice to change that point to a starting point.
Tex — Crooked Wood Products
Now there's a man with an open mind – you can feel the breeze from here.

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

Remember that the starting point for a vector show in node edit for an open vector is not necessarily the starting point for a toolpath using that open vector.

In this case, the "Machine Vectors" for the profile toolpath is set to "lnside / Left" meaning that the toolpath will start at the end point of the open vector. If the original poster changes all those starting points to the other end of the vector he'll need to change the "Machine Vectors" to "Outside / Right".

Kevin Jenness
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Kevin Jenness »

Tex, I did have the start points correctly located. The problem was in the animated view. I am not sure what fixed it, but after making the project size smaller the tool could be seen travelling in the correct paths on each vector. I had not been aware of the green and blue vertical plunge lines in the 3D preview that Adze pointed out- that is quite helpful.

I have done some test cuts and found that I needed to climb cut and take a small final cleanup pass to get good results in the oak I am routing. The 1 1/2" diameter bit is taking a 13/16" high x 5/32" wide cut at each pass but the last, and that seems to be plenty for my router running at 13k rpm and 150 ipm. I imagine a heavy duty machine could do it considerably faster with the proper fixture to hold the piece, but this is a great improvement over a hand-held router with a guide collar which is how the shop I am doing the job for made their samples.

Jimandi5000, I'm not sure if I need a gadget. How would that be an improvement on how I did it?

Thanks to all who responded. I really am thankful for all the assistance I have received here.