usb connections

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Cd wells
Model of CNC Machine: Onefinity x-35 with vcarve pro

usb connections

Post by Cd wells »

what is needed to connect computer directly to controller to download tool paths? vcarve pro to onefinity woodworker.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: usb connections

Post by Adrian »

You would probably be better off looking/asking on the Onefinity support site - https://www.onefinitycnc.com/support

From what I can see there is no direct output option with the post processors for that machine and you would transfer files in the normal way.

Cd wells

Post by Cd wells »

what is the normal way. i'm new with cnc. I have cut just three projects downloading tool paths onto flash drives and flash drive to controller. Now no data is downloading onto flash drives. It shows the file on the drive with xxxkb of data but their is nothing on the drive.
Don't know what i've done wrong.

Cd wells

Post by Cd wells »

There is a button right below save tool path "connect directly to machine" but it is not turned on. I thought maybe I needed to install
driver or a patch for my computer to communicate with controller/

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

Try reformatting the flash drive or use a different one.
Steve

Cd wells

Post by Cd wells »

I have done both, still not betting any data downloaded

ken whiklo
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: CWI Professor 2.2

Post by ken whiklo »

Check the name you gave to the file. My machine does not like "." or "/ \" and will act as if the file is not there. Changing the name fixes it.

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

It also could be a file name extension issue. For example if your machine is expecting: abc.nc as a name and the post processor saves it as abc.gcode the cnc machine might not recognize it.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Cd wells wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:42 pm
There is a button right below save tool path "connect directly to machine" but it is not turned on. I thought maybe I needed to install
driver or a patch for my computer to communicate with controller/
That option will only work with certain types of controller & the controller itself needs to be set up correctly from what I understand. As Adrian has said you would probably get better help from onefinity support on how to set that up if it is possible.
You have obviously got it to work at some point if you have completed 3 projects, have you made any changes to your computer or the CNC controller since you completed those projects?
Normally changing the flash drive or making sure you remove it safely from you computer sorts out drive problems.

:lol:

AboveCreations
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: i2r B22

Post by AboveCreations »

Cd wells wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:39 pm
what is needed to connect computer directly to controller to download tool paths? vcarve pro to onefinity woodworker.
I too agree with Adrian and Martin that you should inquire with your machine's support at onefinity. But quite honestly, I am curious, why do you want to send your toolpath/gcode directly to your machine? And why via the USB? You stated that you are new to CNC and only completed a few projects, but don't know what the "norm" is?

After I acquired my CNC machine, I spent many weeks trying to familiarize myself with my new machine by just doing very basic projects. Most of them were from Vectric tutorials that I modified to my machine's toolpath data. I would encourage anyone new to do the same. I am sure anyone is anxious to jump into complex projects after getting a new machine. But do realize that you must know your machine thoroughly before doing that. This is just my opinion and good luck.