Use Slice To Isolate a Depth-Specific Toolpath?

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
jenordyke
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: OneFinity

Use Slice To Isolate a Depth-Specific Toolpath?

Post by jenordyke »

I have a model of a lake and surrounding terrain that produces a very nice carve; couldn't be happier with vcarve pro's work on this project. However, it is really difficult given problems of viscosity and the many nooks and crannies of the shoreline to get an epoxy pour on the lake that I am happy with. The 3D model only extends to the water level of the lake, and the surrounding terrain is exaggerated to stand proud of the lake. Thus, I know that the lake surface is at exactly .296 throughout the model, and the terrain is anything at or above .28.

I have no experience yet with model slicing, and understand slicing is mostly for creating objects that are built up from multiple cross sections. That seems to suggest to me however that it should be possible to use slicing to get a toolpath that is of the lake surface only which I could epoxy fill, and then come back and carve the rest of the model down to the lake surface which should create a nice sharp transition from terrain to water. Anyone do something like this and have some suggestions for me??

jenordyke
Vectric Apprentice

Re: Use Slice To Isolate a Depth-Specific Toolpath?

Post by jenordyke »

Sorry, I didn't complete my question...it may be that slicing is not the right approach, I would appreciate any guidance for other solutions that would let me isolate and cut the full-depth of the lake only first and then come back later to do the roughing and finish passes of the surrounding terrain. Tracing the original stl model doesn't work so well because of small islands and so many shallow shorelines where the color difference between water and land is too subtle for trace to pick up on.

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

If you have vectors that describe the lakes' shorelines then you could simply use a pocket toolpath.

A similar process was used in the attached image. The only differences are that the holes were 2D representation of shotgun pellets' and rifle bullets' holes in a stop sign and that a second 3D model (the coloured areas) was cut below the flat depth of the pocket.

Steven

--
terrain with 3D stats pockets.jpg

jenordyke
Vectric Apprentice

Post by jenordyke »

Thanks, Steven. At the moment what I have is an stl generated from US geo survey data, and 3D roughing/finishing toolpaths generated by Vcarve Pro. I guess in a way what I was asking was could I use slicing -which creates components that can be toggled on or off when generating toolspaths - to get to just such a toolpath; in this case, the tool path for any/all areas that are at or below .296 depth, use a pocket to cut that path, then "switch on" the rest of the slices to generated 3D toolpaths for the rest of the model.

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

Can you post the STL file?
John
Maker of Chips

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard

Post by adze_cnc »

I think I have a solution that does not use slicing. Will post in a bit when I've fully figured it out.

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard

Post by adze_cnc »

See images below for details.

Here's a no-slice method to get the vectors for lake areas to pocket out.
  1. import 3D model temporarily
    • select "Discard data below zero plane"
    • Depth below top is the model thickness less your 0.296 inches.
    • Type in: z-0.296= and the program will calculate it for you.
  2. On the modelling tab
    • select imported 3D file component (rawmodel-52786 in my case)
    • click on the "Create vector boundary..." button (blobby one to the right of the wrench—see image below)
  3. Re-import 3D file
    • on the modelling tab delete the imported 3D model component
    • import the 3D file again with your normal importing settings (can disable the "Discard data below zero plane" option)
You now have your 3D model and 2D vectors for lakes (or in my case shorelines and islands).

Steven
1-import-3D.jpg
2-extract-boundaries.jpg
3-shoreline-vectors.png
4-delete-model.png
5-import-model-properly.jpg
6-model-and-vectors.jpg

jenordyke
Vectric Apprentice

Post by jenordyke »

Genius! Thank you so much. The best part of this is it's a generic solution not tied to one specific situation.

ezcorer
Model of CNC Machine: 4030

Post by ezcorer »

This is a GAME CHANGER! well at least for me.
Thank you for taking the time to figure this out.

Jimcad
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Alpha CNC 6090 with 4th Axis

Post by Jimcad »

Well done Steven.
Very interesting. :wink:

Jim