UCCNC

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
UnitedCarvings
Model of CNC Machine: Stepcraft M700

UCCNC

Post by UnitedCarvings »

More of a UCCNC question. Is there a way to slow down the retract speed after the Z homing process using the Z depth attachment. It finds the depth and then goes up so fast it sets off the sensors.

eabrust
Model of CNC Machine: CNCRP custom router

Re: UCCNC

Post by eabrust »

If by 'using the z depth attachment' you mean you are probing the tool against the tool height setter puck, and you are using the 'probe' button on UCCNC screen, it is running the M31 macro. You can edit that M31 macro (found in your profile/macros folder) to either change the retract from a G0 to a G1 with a feedrate you want to set. Or if your machine is generally to fast for your comfort if you do a G0 move, just reduce the maximum feedrate allowed in the axis settings (the value in the 'Velocity (units/min)' DRO) so that anytime a G0 is used, it is slower than currently set.

There is also a UCCNC forum you can visit for help on that control software. Hope that helps

regards
Eric

UnitedCarvings

Post by UnitedCarvings »

Thank you. That helps. The only spot I can find what you've mentioned is under configuration, then z-axis and there is a velocity setting. It's currently set at 5100 units per minute. I should lower that?

Thanks!

UnitedCarvings

Post by UnitedCarvings »

Maybe what I should have said was how low should I make that number? And will that affect carving and other operations?

eabrust
Model of CNC Machine: CNCRP custom router

Post by eabrust »

UnitedCarvings wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:16 pm
Maybe what I should have said was how low should I make that number? And will that affect carving and other operations?
That number is up to you. What is the fastest feedrate you cut at? At what jog feed rate maximum speed are you uncomfortable with how fast it is moving? Set the max axis speed to be faster than the fastest G1 cutting feedrate you use, but less than a speed which is causing a problem or makes you uncomfortable when you issue a G0 move.

Take the number there now, reduce it by 500 (approx 10%) and see if its better, keep reducing till you're happy. :D

regards
Eric

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

You may find you get better answers to questions like this on the UCCNC forum as not everyone on this forum will be using it plus the control system developers are on their forum :lol: :lol: :lol:

https://www.forum.cncdrive.com/viewforum.php?f=1

It might be that you need to look at your acceleration/deacceleration settings as well as your velocity settings, have you set the machine up yourself or was it done by someone else?

UnitedCarvings

Post by UnitedCarvings »

I figured it out. I just set the G0 to G1. The bit now probes and retracts slowly. The problem wasn't the speed it was throwing the reset button, but mainly because it was retracting so fast. All is well now.