Tab marks on material

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
potl
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Nigthhawk cnc

Tab marks on material

Post by potl »

Hello i have a little problem when i use tabs in my work. I get some marks like in the photo, anyone know how to fix this??
Attachments
IMG-2840.JPG

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Tab marks on material

Post by Adrian »

Check the "3D tabs" option on the toolpath. That way the bit doesn't come to a complete halt to lift up to form the tab.

AboveCreations
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: i2r B22

Post by AboveCreations »

Adrian wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:57 pm
Check the "3D tabs" option on the toolpath. That way the bit doesn't come to a complete halt to lift up to form the tab.
Hi Adrian. I am curious. I hope this isn't a dumb question but, would it be ok to check that 3D Tabs option even it there is no 3D model? Would the tool path act the same as you describe? I don't use the tabs a lot. But when I do, I run into the same issue as the OP. Even on projects without a 3D model.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

3D tabs are nothing to do with 3D models. They are just a different type of tab.

With the "3D tabs" box unchecked a tab is formed by the cutter coming to a complete halt, lifting up, moving the distance of the tab and then stopping again before dropping down to carry on with the cut.

With the 3D tab box checked the tab has an angled entry and exit to it so the bit never stops moving. The bit is moving in the vertical at the same time it is in the horizontal.

"Project toolpath onto 3D model" is something else again and you definitely should not use that unless the toolpath is on a 3D model as it can cause all sorts of issue otherwise.

Jan.vanderlinden
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Xcarve

Post by Jan.vanderlinden »

Incredible...
I too have always had that problem and thought that I just had to live with it and carefully sand them out.
Thank you Adrian.
“I've learned so much from my mistakes, I'm thinking of making a few more”

Tex_Lawrence
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko3XXL; JTech7W; V-CarvePro 12.004

Post by Tex_Lawrence »

3D tabs are all I use, and I agree with what Adrian has posted, but I've seen that mark before, and it wasn't near a tab position. It was at the start/end of the toolpath.

Solution is to use leads; both lead in and lead out. You'll have to experiment a bit, because it depends on the scrap room you have outside your toolpath.
Tex — Crooked Wood Products
Now there's a man with an open mind – you can feel the breeze from here.