Scaling job proportionately

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
JwoodCNC
Model of CNC Machine: Iconic by Axiom

Scaling job proportionately

Post by JwoodCNC »

Just wondering if there is a way to take a project file and scale it proportionately?

I am a beginner -- currently having fun experimenting with this wooden chain project:
https://www.vectric.com/vectric-communi ... oodenChain

I've finally fixed my registration issues. Now I'm wondering if there's a straightforward way to take the file and make a chain at about 80% of the size? I'm aware of the 'scale design with job size' tick box but this doesn't seem to do what I'm trying to achieve. Will I need to manually figure out new proportions for the thickness etc?

Just wondering if there might be a tutorial on scaling the whole job to a smaller percentage of its current size -- if this is indeed possible.

Thank you!

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Re: Scaling job proportionately

Post by SteveNelson46 »

I've never done it but you could go into the job setup and make sure the "Scale design with job size" is checked. Then in the width box leave what is there, move to the end of the line and type "*.8=" (no quotes) and press enter. Do the same for the height setting. This uses the built-in math functions to scale the job and design by 80%. This is a 2-sided job so you will have to do the same for both A and B sides.
Steve

JwoodCNC

Post by JwoodCNC »

Thank you for this! Can you please clarify where you mean when you say
move to the end of the line and type "*.8=" (no quotes) and press enter.

Do you mean in the Width (X): field? so there is a space between the width measurement and the .8? (I am in the Job Setup section and looking at the Job Size).

I'm just not clear what field you mean when you say move to the end of the line.

Thanks for your help.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

He means that if there is, for example, a value of 200 in the width field you would enter *.8= directly after the 200, to give 200*.8=, as soon as you press = the value will then change to 80% (200 multiplied by point 8 ) of 200.

You can also scale the vectors directly using the Size tool and the same equation principle.

JwoodCNC

Post by JwoodCNC »

Thank you very much. I overlooked the * symbol previously.

I've just tried this but after I press enter it exits the job setup screen, returns to the main screen. When I go back to the job setup screen, the size has not changed. Any idea what I'm missing?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

What do you mean by "size"? Whichever field you change width, height or thickness the change to the value of that field will be immediate upon pressing =. If you don't see the value change when you press the value you're doing something wrong but I'm not sure what other than maybe you're expecting all three values to change in proportion? That's not how it works.

You can use the Set Size tool to change XY sizes in proportion.

JwoodCNC

Post by JwoodCNC »

I got it finally -- thank you! I was just pressing enter instead of the = symbol. Thank you for your patience. I am a slow learner. Appreciate your help.

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

I guess that I wasn't too clear in my post. Sorry for the confusion.
Steve

JwoodCNC

Post by JwoodCNC »

SteveNelson46 wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:38 pm
I guess that I wasn't too clear in my post. Sorry for the confusion.
Not at all! I just wasn't reading carefully. Really appreciate you taking the time to explain.