Combining two pieces of clipart

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
ricklach
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: 1510 Workbee/5'x10 Colossus (home Built)

Combining two pieces of clipart

Post by ricklach »

I have two pieces of clipart - a leaf and a fleur de lys. I want to superimpose the fleur de lys on top of the leaf and then treat both objects as a single object. Everytime I try that the Fleur de Lys becomes hidden behind the leaf and I can't seem to bring out the detail and set the heights of the respective objects. I think I might be missing a step. Can anyone tell me how to proceed?

scotttarnor
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Piranha XL , Shark HD520

Re: Combining two pieces of clipart

Post by scotttarnor »

Scott T

@scottscnc

ricklach
Vectric Apprentice

Post by ricklach »

Thank's - I watched that video before I started. I re-did the project in a new project and managed what I couldn't do in the first attempt. I then copied and pasted it into the first project. Now I need to add some vector objects to the piece of clipart. I have them drawn and placed on the clipart but do not know how to make the vectors an integral part of the clipart. Any ideas on that issue?

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

What do you mean by an integral part? Pictures help, you can't pysically join vectors & pixels if that is what you are trying to do, you can however machine vectors which are laid over a 3D model using the project onto 3D model option when toolpathing. :lol: :lol:

ricklach
Vectric Apprentice

Post by ricklach »

Thank's for the tidbit. The problem is that I have a coat of arms shield that I need to divide in four quadrants. If I machine the shield it will machine-out the cross (which is a vector) that forms the quadrants. I suspect that the best way to approach the problem is to produce the additional parts in a drawing program and then import them into Vectric and the job I am working on.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

You can use vectors on the quadrants to limit the machining which will leave the cross section untouched.

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

ricklach wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:48 pm
Thank's for the tidbit. The problem is that I have a coat of arms shield that I need to divide in four quadrants. If I machine the shield it will machine-out the cross (which is a vector) that forms the quadrants. I suspect that the best way to approach the problem is to produce the additional parts in a drawing program and then import them into Vectric and the job I am working on.
What will you be able to do in a different drawing program that you can't do in Vectric, (sorry to me drawing software would be vector based).

You can as Adrian has pointed out use vector boundaries to limit your 3D machining so areas could be left unmachined & then 2D toolpathed from any vectors you have drawn.

Pictures or screenshots would be a help :lol: :lol: :lol:

ricklach
Vectric Apprentice

Post by ricklach »

Crest.jpg
Attached is a screen shot. The top left quadrant and the cross that defines the quadrant are the vector files. Can you explain this for me: "use vector boundaries to limit your 3D machining so areas could be left unmachined & then 2D toolpathed from any vectors you have drawn." The cross and 3 wavy lines should be at the same level as the boundary of the shield.

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Post by highpockets »

Sorry I don't have a maple leaf, but something like this what you're looking for?
Attachments
Image 1035.png
John
Maker of Chips

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

When you set up your 3D toolpaths you have various options for the machining boundary 3rd option on the list is Selected Vectors.
If you use this option & include your cross & wiggly lines (technical terminology :lol: ) then these areas will not be machined by the 3D rough or finish toolpaths & remain un machined.
You may then need to perform some additional machining to get them to match the look & height that you require for your overall look & those operations would be 2D machining options.
With a 3D modeling program such as Aspire you could simply make components from those vectors which would then be part of your 3D model but with Vcarve then you need to approach things a bit differently & it's a bit more work :lol: :lol: :lol:

ricklach
Vectric Apprentice

Post by ricklach »

Upgrading to Aspire is a steep price to pay for a simple cross and 3 wavy lines as a hobbyist. I thank you for your help but I think I will abandon this project unless there is a way to import my current crest (jpg or bmp) and convert it into a machinable model.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

There are many ways with just VCarve but whether any of them are what you're looking for is another matter. Without a clearer indication of what the finished piece is supposed to look like and what you have so far it's extremely difficult to give step by step guidance how to achieve it.

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

ricklach wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:12 pm
Upgrading to Aspire is a steep price to pay for a simple cross and 3 wavy lines as a hobbyist. I thank you for your help but I think I will abandon this project unless there is a way to import my current crest (jpg or bmp) and convert it into a machinable model.
If you read the post I just said that it would be an easy job with Aspire :lol: :lol: :lol: Not suggesting for one minute that you should upgrade.
There are a lot of things that can be done with vcarve but they generally require a bit more work & thought about how the job is done, I actually thought your Crest was already a 3D model not a bitmap.
As Adrian has said we are trying to help but there is a fair bit of guessing going on :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just out of interest which family crest is it you are trying to produce? There might already be a 3D version of it in existance or you might be able to find someone to produce it for you for a fee.
Last edited by martin54 on Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

Posting an image of your "failure" (such as the image of HighPockets' success above) would greatly help in diagnose the problem.

If you are compositing a "3D" file from stock elements (again, see HighPocket's post) there may be no reason to go the Aspire route yet.

ricklach
Vectric Apprentice

Post by ricklach »

Crest2.jpg
This is close to the finished version of what I am trying to achieve. The basic crest and all of the elements except the wavy lines and cross that creates the quadrants are from Design and make. This attempt was to update my own copyrighted crest that I designed 40 years ago. It is what I use for stamping my work and other similar purposes. Here is the original:
Crest3.jpg
Crest3.jpg (15.17 KiB) Viewed 2102 times
What I want to do is create a completed object that can be scaled to various sizes for use in my other endeavours.