VCarve Desktop 11 and NWA's Ready2Control

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Re: VCarve Desktop 11 and NWA's Ready2Control

Post by martin54 »

There is no problem running multiple versions of the software on the same machine, Each version is a stand alone install & doesn't overwrite the previous version. There isn't much point having different versions on a machine for most users but in your case where you have both desktop & pro & one is newer than the other it may be a good idea, I think if it had been me buying a new machine & I already owned a version of the software I would have asked if they could take the cost of the software off the price & thenn used that money to upgrade my pro version or maybe they wouldn't allow that.
Only thing you are going to have to watch is that the software is not backward compatable so any files created in desktop V11 will not open in V9.5 & if you open any of your old files from V9.5 in V11 & then save them they won't then open in V9.5 :lol: :lol: :lol:
If you open any of your old V9.5 files in V11 & want to save them then best to use the save as function & give them a slightly different name when saving to V11 :lol: :lol:

Scottarner posted a link for the post processor download from Nextwave, think it was his lattest post on the thread, the post processors for both versions may be different though if you look at the download page :lol: :lol:

Elderoaklander
Model of CNC Machine: NextWave Automation Shark SD100

Post by Elderoaklander »

Martin, avert your gaze as a college-educated, older, grown man sheds tears.
Just kidding, but I'm going through puzzled/frustrated/angry phases.
Going back to see if I can find Scott's link to pp, because (in the past 3 hrs) I went through new install, new design (a VERY simple 5" circle, output to the toolpath (gcode), making sure I had the right post-processor for my controller.
Result: EXACT same output - carved the circle, scaled down to about 1 1/2 inches in diameter.
Unless you can think of a better suggestion, I'm going back to NWA to see if they (possibly) sent me a 2nd defective controller.
Best, Don J

scotttarnor
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Piranha XL , Shark HD520

Post by scotttarnor »

According to the Nextwave web site you are using the wrong PP, the attached picture of their website states PP “Next Wave CNC inch” or Next Wave CNC MM”
For any thing above version 10.5
Attachments
6888D671-910E-4D6D-A07A-BC83C42B269E.png
Scott T

@scottscnc

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

Apparently in this day & age it's OK for grown men to cry :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

In all seriousness I think going back to Nextwave support is a good think but don't just have a quick chat on the phone, get then to actually talk you through it on the call, pretty sure it has to be something simple that you have missed, this is the link that was posted for the post processors, I believe he has a nextwave machine so it should be a good link

https://nextwaveautomation.zendesk.com/ ... 0046235651

Elderoaklander

Post by Elderoaklander »

Scott, the NWA link did NOT indicate that the .pp's are for ABOVE version 10.5.
I may have mistakenly downloaded the wrong lcd/non lcd one as I have disconnected the pendant.
You're right, Martin, sometimes we let phone support off too lightly. After several more tries (including installing Mach3,
if I haven't gained a little ground will go back to NWA's tech support and get more thorough answers.
..don j

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

Elderoaklander wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:12 pm
Scott, the NWA link did NOT indicate that the .pp's are for ABOVE version 10.5.
I may have mistakenly downloaded the wrong lcd/non lcd one as I have disconnected the pendant.
You're right, Martin, sometimes we let phone support off too lightly. After several more tries (including installing Mach3,
if I haven't gained a little ground will go back to NWA's tech support and get more thorough answers.
..don j
I think you are digging a big hole for yourself at the moment, trying to switch to mach3 is probably not the answer since your set up should work as it is, Lots of people use Nextwave machines & Vectric software without any problems. Is the motion controller used by your machine even compatible with mach3? If it is then there is still going to be quite a big set up process & some of the info required for the set up may not be that easy to find. :lol: :lol:
I would think something like a video call would be your best bet where support could actually guide you through the process rather than just talk at you would be the best way to go :lol: :lol: :lol:

Elderoaklander

Post by Elderoaklander »

You are SO right, Martin. I didn't waste much time w/ Mach3 before realizing it would be next to impossible to set up, since not designed for NWA Shark.
Breaking News: Well, perhaps. Woke in the middle of the night thinking "why does the Ready2Control software NOT make sense on one of the axes?" Pretty sure one of the motor controllers (Y-axis) wires are crossed since when I Jog the Forward and Backward Arrows, the machine does the OPPOSITE of intended. Or, is it possible to install the motor itself backward (would it function, but backward?)
Pretty sure this is the prob because the VCarve software (its excellent, as you say) is working perfectly.
Oh, by the way, I did run several of my designs GCode through a simulator (you may be familiar w/ CNC Cookbook's G-WizardE (excellent and inexpensive). All completed exactly as designed (and not shrunk).
Thanks again for your spot-on advice.
..don j

Elderoaklander

Post by Elderoaklander »

HOORAY!
Martin (et al), just got off a long phone conversation w/ Mike at NWA's tech support.
After explaining that my Y-axis was not going in the right direction (under Ready2Control), he had me go into Settings/Controller/Info
and check the "Decouple Controller Type from Model" box, then delete Model 100 and replace it with 300.
After loading the same GCode that had failed (for DAYS), everything worked perfectly with all axes movements and cutting.
I sent a glowing review of Mike's support to his supervisor.
Thanks again, Martin for insisting I persevere in not giving up on NWA support.
..don j

scotttarnor
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Piranha XL , Shark HD520

Post by scotttarnor »

"If you are using a pendant and you are sure you are using inch PP I would contact Nextwave as there have been similar problems reported in the past on the Shark forum and they were resolve by correcting settings on the pendant.
[/quote]
Scott T

@scottscnc

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

Glad to hear that it is all sorted now & you can start to frustrate yourself with designing things to cut rather than the operation of the machine :lol: :lol: :lol: