Why is the start point at the top of the circle?

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
T4 Concepts
Model of CNC Machine: WorkBee

Why is the start point at the top of the circle?

Post by T4 Concepts »

Hi all,

Sorry guys, I need a little help again :oops:

I just created a toolpath for a simple circle, to cut down 2mm ( two passes at 1mm each ), somehow it wants to start at the TOP of the circle!? This makes no sense to me as the point of origin ( 0,0 ) is set to bottom left >
VCarve Desktop 11.006 [83mm circle EndMill 4.0mm].png

Also, in my previous attempt I had little arrows indicating the direction of travel, now I'm not getting those!
................ what have I missed?
Also, I remember reading somewhere that it's possible to edit the start point at which the tool plinges.

TURK

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Why is the start point at the top of the circle?

Post by Adrian »

Depends on many factors such as what you have the Start At options set to in the Profile toolpath. Generally with a simple, single shape like that it will start cutting where the start node is. You can change the start node by going into node edit mode and changing it their via the right click menu or pressing P while hovering where you want it.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

As Adrian has said the green start node is easy to change, I don't know how the software determines where the start node should be placed when creating shapes :lol: :lol:
To see the brown cutting path you would need to be in the 2D toolpath view with the toolpath selected, maybe when you looked the toolpath wasn't selected if you couldn't see them.

T4 Concepts
Model of CNC Machine: WorkBee

Post by T4 Concepts »

Thanks guys ................... yeah, I did find out how to edit the start point of the toolpath in the end ( minutes after I posted the question actually! ). Found it under the 'Advanced Tool Path Options'. Strange how vcarve determines where it wants to start, makes no sense going across the path and pick a spot almost at the other end!? Anyway, good to know you can start plunging where you want :)

As you can see from the image at the top the toolpath was selected, but no arrows indicating the direction of travel ............... I simply went to 3D view then back to 2D view and it appeared! Slight glitch maybe?

Having great fun with V-Carve, looks like they've thought of everything, and I've obviously got a long way to go to master it! :mrgreen:

TURK

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

T4 Concepts wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:54 am
Thanks guys ................... yeah, I did find out how to edit the start point of the toolpath in the end ( minutes after I posted the question actually! ). Found it under the 'Advanced Tool Path Options'. Strange how vcarve determines where it wants to start, makes no sense going across the path and pick a spot almost at the other end!? Anyway, good to know you can start plunging where you want :)

As you can see from the image at the top the toolpath was selected, but no arrows indicating the direction of travel ............... I simply went to 3D view then back to 2D view and it appeared! Slight glitch maybe?

Having great fun with V-Carve, looks like they've thought of everything, and I've obviously got a long way to go to master it! :mrgreen:

TURK
I know nothing about computer programing but would imagine it is not quite as simple as it might seem. When you sit & design something the software doesn't know how you are going to toolpath it :lol: :lol: I would imagine the start node for each type of shape is always in the same place which is why you are given the option to change it.
No they haven't thought of everything which is why you get new versions with either new features or improvements to existing features.
How long it takes you to master is probably going to be down to how much you use the program & what you are doing, I don't use it every day & there are quite a few features that I have never used or that I rarely use so I probably can't say I have mastered the program even though I have been using it for a number of years :lol: :lol: