Relative geometry

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Erik F
Vectric Apprentice

Relative geometry

Post by Erik F »

Hi Folks,
I have been using Vectric products for a long time but only for CAM. I want to get to know the drawing CAD side a little better. One thing that I really like Rhino is being able to temporarily move the origin to something like the lower left hand corner of a cabinet wall I'm designing. This makes it super easy to locate my slots, dados and pin holes. It makes it very quick and easy to place these types of features. The closest thing I can find in Vectric to being able to do something like that is by creating a series of guide lines and working off of those. Is there an easier way to create geometry in reference to other geometry via some sort of anchor point or something similar? Probably a stupid question about something simple I am just not doing correctly but I appreciate any ideas.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Re: Relative geometry

Post by martin54 »

Have you looked at any of the vector drawing tutorials? The vectric widget tutorial might be of some help :lol: :lol:

When I started out with vectric software I was very much the same, I had been using signmaking software for many years to create vectors & it was easier for me to just carry on doing that & then export them as an eps file to import into vectric software, have slowly learnt how to use the drawing tools within the software but I still sometime revert to what I know best :oops: :oops:

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

In the job setup dialogue under “XY Datum” there is a check box for “Use Offset”. You can select this to temporarily (or permanently if you need to) offset the 0,0 co-ordinate to where you want it. Then draw relative to that point and uncheck “Use Offset” when you are finished.

mezalick
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Cobra

Post by mezalick »

Couldn't this be done using the new Sheets option in Version 11

Michael
Michael Mezalick
https://www.youtube.com/user/mezalick
mm@mezalick.com

Erik F
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Erik F »

Thank you for the suggestion. I thought it solved my problem, but it seems not quite. If I am drawing parts on a 60"x60" sheet and I want to create a cabinet wall of say 12x24, when I change the origin in this way, it seems to offset the entire "sheet" by that amount, and with it the vectors I'm trying to work off of as well. I suppose using the guidelines are going to be the way. Set one guideline at the spot I want to use as my 0,0, then right click and create a new guide line from that menu relative to the first guide line. At that point create my vectors from the second guide line. Not sure if that make sense.
If there in something I am missing in the offset idea please let me know. Thanks for all the help everyone!
Erik

Erik F
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Erik F »

How would using sheets change how the offset datum moves the entire work piece? Sorry I am out of my element with the cad side of this software.

ElevationCreations
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: AVID PRO-Acorn , Shapeoko SO3 XXL & SO3s

Post by ElevationCreations »

If I understand what you are trying to do correctly is offset vectors from existing vectors on the sheet.? I do this by using the move command and align my dados, holes, etc. to the panel and move relative to the alignment.

For example, line drilling 5mm holes on a panel, create one 5mm circle centered on the X-Y corner of the panel, move vertically from bottom offset, then create an array with 32mm offset, then use the move command (relative in X or Y axis) to move it 37mm centered from the edge of the panel.

This is quicker for me than trying to do the guide lines.

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510

Post by dealguy11 »

I generally also draw temporary construction geometry for this kind of operation. I often draw a line (or rectangle, or whatever), align it to the reference geometry, move it where required and reference any other geometry to that. I'm so used to it now that I think setting a relative geometry point, useful as it might be would be a distraction to my workflow. I don't really use Vectric guidelines, as they feel limiting to me.
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost

mohamed
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: Craft CNC DS1

Post by mohamed »

One thing which may make this process quicker is using Smart Snapping in conjuction with Quick Keys to quickly move objects or nodes without going to the relevant forms or needing to create construction geometry (depending on your needs)

These are some (possibly / hopefully) useful resources that I can find to help you get started

https://docs.vectric.com/docs/V11.0/VCa ... index.html

https://docs.vectric.com/docs/V11.0/VCa ... index.html

https://www.facebook.com/vectric/videos ... 041795314/

https://www.vectric.com/support/tutoria ... ng-drawing
--------------
Mohamed
++++++++

Erik F
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Erik F »

all great suggestions, happy to take any ideas. I will try a few of the suggestions and see what fits my brain best. what a great forum.