What on earth is going on? really stuck, need help!

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
T4 Concepts
Model of CNC Machine: WorkBee

Re: What on earth is going on? really stuck, need help!

Post by T4 Concepts »

I was referring to the design side of things, as in a technical drawing with dimensions .....................
If you draw a circle anywhere on your material, then try to indicate how far that circle is from your X axis and then from the Y axis, basically the co-ordinates from your point of origin, chances are you'll be faffing about for ages. As I have been!

Or, is there a way of doing it? I've certainly not seen a way of typing in dimensions.

TURK

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

T4 Concepts wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:35 am
I was referring to the design side of things, as in a technical drawing with dimensions .....................
If you draw a circle anywhere on your material, then try to indicate how far that circle is from your X axis and then from the Y axis, basically the co-ordinates from your point of origin, chances are you'll be faffing about for ages. As I have been!

Or, is there a way of doing it? I've certainly not seen a way of typing in dimensions.

TURK
There certainly is, there are probably a few different ways :lol: :lol:
Rather than me trying to explain things this tutorial will do a much better job, there are also other tutorials on drawing you can work your way through. :lol: :lol:

https://www.vectric.com/support/tutoria ... ric-widget

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

T4 Concepts wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:35 am
You can type in values for pretty much every tool in VCarve rather than move with the mouse. With a lot of the more common ones you can type directly as you use the tool rather than entering into the dialog as well.

Use the interactive Help to bring up the relevant documentation for the tool you're using.

T4 Concepts

Post by T4 Concepts »

Hi guys,

I don't think you're understanding my point or I'm very bad at explaining it, and most of you probably wouldn't need to enter accurate dimensions onto your work pieces anyway. I'm referring to the 'Dimension' tool. The actual design of the profiling isn't the issue, the issue that I'm getting is when I enter a dimension for a given distance that I know, achieving what that known distance is, is usually incorrect ( length of line drawn ), and then you can't edit the result in the dialog box.

I'm basically using vcarve as an engineering drawing for reference purposes. As an example - the design below ( and thanks to sharkcutup ) I now know how to change the colours of construction lines and the different processes ( different tool paths ) on different layers. The main dimensions where the holes need to be profiled are in blue, I know those to be correct >
VCarve Desktop 11.006 [NS_L_94mm]_1.png

But when I enter the dimension ( even with snapping turned ON ) the result isn't actually 88.5mm but something like 88.917. Trying to find the real point to show what the actual dimension is, is very difficult. Even by zooming-in to maximum ( which greatly increases your chances of finding your target accurately, end's up looking like this >
VCarve Desktop 11.006 [NS_LowBeam]_2.png

I can't see that there is a way of typing in the dimensions manually, and you can't edit it the incorrect data in the dialog box, the only option remaining is to delete the entire dimensional line and start again, hoping that this time you'll hit the mark bang-on! >
VCarve Desktop 11.006 [NS_LowBeam]_3.png

Is there a more precise approach to adding dimensions that I haven't come across yet?

TURK

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

A similar issue was raised on another thread a few days ago. This is what I replied then and may well apply to you. I've never had an issue with the dimension tool being inaccurate. I use it all the time but it's important to select the correct dimension setting.

"Take a 50mm square for example. It will measure as 50mm in every tool and setting. However rotate it 1 degree and it will now measure 50.865mm when selected or in the resize tool as the selection measures across the shape as a whole not one edge.

Now if you were to use the dimension tool set to "length" and measure one side you would get 50mm. However if you set it to "vertical" or "horizontal" you would get 49.9924mm.

Three different (and correct) measurements from the same shape."

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

T4 Concepts wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:50 am
most of you probably wouldn't need to enter accurate dimensions onto your work pieces anyway.
I've never had the need to use the dimension tool in VCarve—measurement tool yes; dimension no. Mainly because there are so many other ways to find out location and size of an object. That and if you alter the object later the dimension becomes meaningless. But...

If I ever do use the dimension tool I, like "most of you", will appreciate the fact that if used properly and carefully it will be accurate. They've had 11 versions (actually more if you count the x.5 versions) to iron out any blatant bugs and make it work well.

"Demonstrations are great. Watch them. Then try to replicate what you saw. Then try to explain to your mother how you made the object. If she understands it then you do too."

—crusty old woodworker I used to know.

T4 Concepts

Post by T4 Concepts »

adze_cnc wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:18 am
I've never had the need to use the dimension tool in VCarve—measurement tool yes; dimension no.
That's confusing! :? I didn't know there was a difference.
I look at a combination of 'measurements' as giving 'dimensions' to your drawings.
So yes, I was using the 'Measuring Tool' ( Horizontal & Vertical ) to add dimensions to my design.

TURK

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

T4 Concepts wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:26 am

That's confusing! :? I didn't know there was a difference.
I look at a combination of 'measurements' as giving 'dimensions' to your drawings.
So yes, I was using the 'Measuring Tool' ( Horizontal & Vertical ) to add dimensions to my design.
No, you're using the Dimension tool. The Measuring tool doesn't create dimensions on the drawing.

In the attached picture the red circle is the Dimension tool, the green is the Measuring tool.
Attachments
snip.jpg