Node Edit imported DXF file in VCarve Pro 9.5

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
sweet-n-simple
Model of CNC Machine: HD Shark Black Diamond Edition

Node Edit imported DXF file in VCarve Pro 9.5

Post by sweet-n-simple »

I have imported a DXF file (purchased model) into VCarve Pro ver 9.5 after which I used the "fit curve to selected vectors" using a bezier curve to reduce the high number of vectors in the DXF file. The problem comes in some areas of the model where there are no vectors showing but the toolpath actually cuts very deep to clear out the area as if it were a pocket area. I'm using a possibly 10 degree v bit masquerading as a 30 degree v bit and a vcarve/engraving toolpath. How can I eliminate all the carving in the pocket area where no nodes are present to edit?

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Re: Node Edit imported DXF file in VCarve Pro 9.5

Post by martin54 »

I'm not sure I fully understand the problem, uploading the file always helps but if you can't do that for copyright reasons then screenshots are the next best thing, guessing terminology may be part of the reason for my miss understanding, sounds like you have some 2D clipart as models are not made up of vectors.
Not sure why you are telling the software that the bit is a different size to what you are using as this will not give you an accurate toolpath preview. If you are using a vcarve toolpath then that works by cutting between two vectors, the further apart the vectors then the deeper the cut will be using the same sized bit. The areas where you mention it being like a pocket are more than likely areas where the vectors are further apart. If it is cutting to deep then there is the option to limit the depth of cut.

Check the help files for vcarve/engraving toolpath for a better explanation :lol: :lol:

Flat Depth (F)
Checking ✓ this option limits the depth that the tool(s) will machine to, and is used for Flat Bottomed Carving and Engraving.

Depending on the artwork & the look you wish to achieve it may be that the vcarve tooolpath is not your best option & possibly a profile pass on the line at a set depth is a better option :lol: :lol: :lol:

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Generally if you have a cut in an area that you're not expecting that shows a problem with the vector such as a small loop or duplicated node.

sweet-n-simple

Post by sweet-n-simple »

Don't want to violate copyright laws so have attached only a pdf of screenshots demonstrating what I perceive to be the problem. The first screenshot includes the visible toolpath. The colored areas are the areas of concern. The second screenshot includes all vectors--at least I thought it should be all vectors--and does not display the toolpath. The machine is carving deepest in the colored area where I would expect no carving at all as there appear to be no vectors. Any suggestions?
Attachments
Whale.pdf
(39.93 KiB) Downloaded 44 times

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

That appears to be cutting correctly for a v-carve toolpath as far as I can see. A v-carve toolpath will cut the whole are of an enclosed vector. If you want to just cut on the lines then you should use a profile toolpath or create another set of vectors to limit the extent that the v-carve will go.

To see what I mean draw a circle and create a v-carve toolpath. Now draw another slightly smaller circle inside the first one and create a v-carve toolpath with both of them selected.

Also looks like you might have a lot of duplicated vectors as well but it's hard to tell 100% from the resolution of the picture.

sweet-n-simple

Post by sweet-n-simple »

Thanks Adrian. I'll try the profile tool path. But I'm intrigued by your comment re creating "another set of vectors to limit the extent that the v-carve will go. Can you explain a bit about how that is done?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

A v-carve toolpath will cut the gap between two vectors if they are present. That's why I made the suggestion about trying the circles as that would show you what I was talking about.

If you auto trace a bitmap then that creates two sets of slightly apart vectors that are ideal for v-carving in a lot of circumstances. If you're working with imported vectors then the offset tools is generally the best way to create another set of slightly smaller/larger vectors.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Not sure if this will help but explains a little, there is a good post on the forum explaining how the vcarve toolpath works but I can't find it :oops:

https://support.vectric.com/aspire-ques ... -v-carving

There is probably more answers to vcarve toolpath in the FAQ's

As Adrian says the vcarve toolpath cuts between 2 vectors & his circle within a circle demonstrates that, taking that one stage further try drawing another circle inside or outside the first 2 & toolpath it again, note what happens this time, add another circle & toolpath again & see how it has changed, this will give you a better idea how the vcarve toolpath works :lol: :lol: :lol:

Offsetting can sometimes help with vectors like yours but it can also give you some very strange results, spending a bit of time trying different things will help you understand better & the good thing is that you won't waste any material trying as the toolpath preview will show you exactly what you will get :lol: :lol: :lol: