Tool Database

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Ken R
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko

Tool Database

Post by Ken R »

Another noob question...

I can create tool paths - no problem. But, why when I create a new toolpath for a second cut, the tool database is different.

I've created a few form tools as needed in the database and they are shown as available for selection. When I create my second toolpath and try to select the tool I need, the database is different doesn't show the form tools I've created. (the material selected is the same for each tool selection attempt).

I can provide more detail as to what I'm doing if needed.

Thanks for your help.

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Re: Tool Database

Post by sharkcutup »

The Tool Database has been designed with some safety in mind.

If lets say you were to select the V-Carve Toolpath well then Form tools are not allowed to be used here so they do not show. Only V-bits are used hence the name V-CARVE of the Toolpath.

If you click the display tool base icon under Toolpath Operations (fourth row first Icon) it will show all your tools that you have entered.

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554

Ken R
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko

Post by Ken R »

Thanks for your reply. I was able to follow everything you mentioned, and yes, I see the tools I've created, but I still don't see how to apply a form tool I've created to a new (2nd) toolpath. :?: .

My first toolpath is a profile cut using a Vcarve installed tool - no problem. My second toolpath is a chamfering toolpath using a form tool that I've created. I can't see the tools I've created when I try to select the tool I need for the 2nd cut.
Last edited by Ken R on Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Ken R wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:27 am
My first toolpath is a profile cut using a Vcarve installed tool - no problem. My second toolpath is a chamfering toolpath using a form tool that I've created. I can't see the tools I've created when I try to select the tool I need for the 2nd cut.
Same reason as the v-carve toolpath. A chamfer toolpath can only use a v-bit or a ballnose. A form tool isn't a valid choice so you can't select it. By default all un-selectable tools are hidden. You can change that by right clicking in the tool selection tree and turning that option off but you still won't be able to select a form tool just see it.