Geometry Zero

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
KerenzaCNC
Model of CNC Machine: Self built

Geometry Zero

Post by KerenzaCNC »

Is it possible to set Vcarve pro zero to the cad geometry zero?
other software does it and it is VERY useful indeed!
Please?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Geometry Zero

Post by Adrian »

Not sure what you mean. Can you explain a bit more what the difference is? It's not something I've come across personally but I might know it by another term.

KerenzaCNC

Post by KerenzaCNC »

The vectors I want to use to inlay wont center to the model I want inlay into
I draw with rhino and have other cam software that will set the Vcarve zero to the zero of the imported model.
Difficult to explain without referring to rival software which when I click edit program zero has a box to click that says. . Set to Geometry Zero. . .
The ability to do this with Vcarve would enable me to do the multiple V carved inlays into a compound curved surface.
Yes I am possibly pushing boundaries but I have done this with a simple file, and now could get more intricate if I could keep the X,Y zeros in the right place.
Thankyou
This a very gentle curved surface but proved the concept is possible :D
https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=102 ... 9117147685

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Alignment is done with the alignment tools. The actual XY zero is set in the job setup and relates to the whole job not individual vectors or models.

I'm still not following what the issue is so I'll bow out of this one for now and hope someone else can provide a detailed answer for you.

KerenzaCNC

Post by KerenzaCNC »

Ok. . Thankyou for your interest.
I shall try to better define the question when I can figure out what went wrong with my latest "experiment" lol

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

I don't understand either but just a thought, is it possible to flip things around & set the cad geometry zero to what you already know the vcarve zero will be :lol: :lol: :lol:

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Post by FixitMike »

I have often drawn a circle that goes around all of my design, centered where I want the center to be. Then I can use the alignment tools by selecting the circle along with the design. Otherwise, the center of a selection will be the center of the smallest rectangle that contains all of the selection. This often does not coincide with where I want the center to be.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

GEdward
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: 24 X 36 3 Axis

Post by GEdward »

I think I understand to some degree what you are trying to convey. You have a CAM software program that will set the project zero to the X Y zero of the model that you imported into it. But at some point THAT zero needs to be positioned onto the material you are machining. So, as Martin54 points out, can you set the center of the model to the X Y machining zero that you defined in the project set up menu. I am guessing that zero would be at the geographical center of the material for your purposes.
Then any inlay, vcarving, engraving etc. that you add to the project should then be centered similarly. You simply choose the "project toolpath onto 3D model" option. Not sure however how or if that will work for inlays however. The Zank inlay method might be your best but again, I don't know for sure.
There is another consideration with regard to how the software determines the geometry zero. VCarve draws an imaginary bounding box, oriented along X and Y, and then calls the center of the box the center of that element. The problem with that method is that the center of the box is not always the center of the object. Take for instance a three point star. The center of a square bounding box is NOT the center of the star. In VCarve, you would have to draw a circle around the star, group the star with the circle and then center that.
Your program might take the average of a number of points around the perimeter or some other means of locating the center.
To the greatest extent possible, it might be best that you do as much as possible within VCarve in order that the project stays on the "same page" so to speak.
Ed

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

By "other CAM" I suspect you mean RhinoCAM.

Similar to what FixitMike mentioned you could draw a box around all your geometry (using the BoundingBox command). The lower left corner will be your "CAD geometry zero".

Export and then import into VCarve. You can now move the geometry plus bounding box to the XY co-ordinate you need in the VCarve file.

KerenzaCNC

Post by KerenzaCNC »

Ok.
This is my latest result.
The details of the workflow and evolution of it are too much for me to type with a hand tremour.
Suffice to say it's not perfect. The battleground of compund learning curves at every stage is scattered with trip hazzards.
I can and will work around all of them, But it would all be so much eaiser if Vcarve could use the rhino cad zero for imported vectors and objects.
It might do that already if I export from cad in the right file type?
my other cam software is mesh cam which has a box to click and it does it.
P.S. Rest machining! a big leap forward for me so Thank you. :)
Attachments
Butterfly1.jpg

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Post by sharkcutup »

Awesome looking carve!!!

Would enjoy being able to help but do not know anything of the other software packages you are posting about on this thread.

I did want to get a few words in on that Magical Butterfly.

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554

scotttarnor
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Piranha XL , Shark HD520

Post by scotttarnor »

That looks awesome!
Scott T

@scottscnc

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

KerenzaCNC wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:25 pm
I can and will work around all of them, But it would all be so much eaiser if Vcarve could use the rhino cad zero for imported vectors and objects.
Again, we're having trouble deciphering what you mean by "rhino cad zero". Is that Rhino's World Co-ordinate System (WCS) origin? Is that a point relative to 2D objects created?

I created a test Rhino file and exported the 2D objects to an AutoCAD .DWG file for import into VCarve (see attached ZIP below for the .3DM and .DWG files) .

Sorry that this will be in inches but that's how my Rhino and VCarve programs are set up currently
2D entities drawn relative to WCS origin
2D entities drawn relative to WCS origin
The hand-drawn circle circle where the two coloured lines meet is at Rhino's XYZ = 0,0,0. The lower left corner of the rectangle (surrounding the two circles) is at 1,1,0.

I exported this to an AutoCAD .DWG file and imported it into VCarve three ways (images to follow):
  1. from Windows Explorer: right-clicked on DWG file and selected "Open with..." VCarve
  2. from VCarve: created empty project and dragged and dropped DWG to VCarve's "canvas"
  3. from VCarve: created empty project and used File > Import... > Import Vectors... to import the DWG file
Windows Explorer "Open with..." method
Windows Explorer "Open with..." method
"Open with" method creates new project the size of a bounding box around the objects and locates that bounding box at 0,0 origin.
VCarve drag and drop from Windows Explorer method
VCarve drag and drop from Windows Explorer method
Drag and drop method places file where the mouse happens to be when you let go of the mouse button. In this case far to the upper right.
VCarve File > Import... > Import Vectors... method
VCarve File > Import... > Import Vectors... method
VCarve's import vectors method properly imports the lower left of the rectangle to 1,1 and Rhino's WCS 0,0,0 is properly mapped to VCarve's 0,0 origin.
Attachments
RhinoExportTest.zip
Rhino 3DM file and AutoCAD DWG compressed into one ZIP file
(11.02 KiB) Downloaded 33 times