Merging sunken 3D shapes into other sunken 3D shapes?

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
propgunone
Model of CNC Machine: Openbuilds Lead1010

Merging sunken 3D shapes into other sunken 3D shapes?

Post by propgunone »

Had a buddy of mine ask me to make an ashtray for cigars... seems easy enough. What'd I'd like to do is use the flat-bottom dish clipart for the main "bowl" of the tray, then use any other 3D clipart for channels for the cigars. When I do that though, each 3D piece embeds itself an equal distance below every surface it falls on, like in the attached image.

I either used a 3D tab or the flat bottom rectangle clipart there, can't remember. But is there a way to have a subtracted 3D image not project on any surface but the top?
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-07-26 095105.png

propgunone
Model of CNC Machine: Openbuilds Lead1010

Re: Merging sunken 3D shapes into other sunken 3D shapes?

Post by propgunone »

Well I figured it out… kind of. Had to place and size the bowl first, calculate and save the GCode. Then I placed the channels, which are just .75” 3D tabs. At this point I removed the bowl and calculated the 3D code for the tabs.

Interestingly, I of course ended up with a rough and finishing set of code for each process, so four codes total. Rough was a 1/4” endmill and finish was 1/8” ball end. But when I ran the roughing code for the bowl through blackbox I ended up with a perfect cut… like hardly any lines to sand using a 1/4” endmill. No clue what I did unless in moving files around I ended up saving the finish pass as a roughing. Who knows. The ball end hardly touched the piece when I ran its finishing pass.

Anywho, walnut:
Attachments
F9E71D83-7208-49A9-943A-EA244CEDF73D.jpeg
46EB0464-41ED-4AFB-95D3-6DC8E4FFAB86.jpeg