maintain older version of Vcarve Desktop?

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
mrmcwethy
Model of CNC Machine: XCarve

maintain older version of Vcarve Desktop?

Post by mrmcwethy »

I have a friend that has VCarve Pro 10.5 and I have VCarve Desktop 10.5. I have been helping with design issue and we freely exchange .crv files. I update them and he uses my changes, no problem.

If I upgrade to V11, I am guessing that he will no longer be able open .crv file I updated. He would also have to upgrade to V11.

Does it make sense to have V10.5 version of VCarve Desktop on my machine along side the V11 version?

Mike

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510

Re: maintain older version of Vcarve Desktop?

Post by dealguy11 »

Yes. There is no issue with having both versions (except disk space, if that's a concern). You'll just have to remember to use 10.5 for anything you want to share with him.
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost

kstrauss
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Tormach PCNC770

Post by kstrauss »

I *always* keep the previous version "just in case". Fortunately there has never been a serious problem.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

I have older versions on my desktop machine where space isn't an issue so I can help some people who are having problems, as dealguy11 has said you will have to make sure you use the older version for any design work done that you want to share with your friend so he will still be able to open the files, easiest thing to do though is both upgrade & both take advantage of the new features :lol: :lol: :lol:

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Post by sharkcutup »

I always keep and maintain (as best I can) the previous version of V-Carve Pro. I also have trial copies of V-Carve Pro, Desktop and Aspire for my online help sessions. It is helpful for me to have these different software programs because of some of the differences between each. I also feel it is only right to help the individual within there working software relationship. If fact, there has been some instances where I have learned something about a particular software from the individual I was helping solve a problem issue.

I have edited my post processors so I always have a backup copy stored should my edited post processors somehow get lost in an upgrade shuffle.

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554