Can't select ANY tools in Vcarve Pro 11

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
FamousElements
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko Pro

Can't select ANY tools in Vcarve Pro 11

Post by FamousElements »

Upgraded to Vcarve Pro 11 last night and I'm excited about some of the new features.

So far I haven't had much luck. The Machine Configuration Management page doesn't have an option for a Shapeoko Pro (or anything Shapeoko related) so I created a new machine and added the Shapeoko post processor. I literally have no tools that I can select now. I have all the stock ones and all the Amana ones listed but they are greyed out and I can't select them.
Screen Shot 2021-07-25 at 9.53.42 AM.png
I've tried selecting a toolpath using everything from profile, vcarve, quick engrave and so far nothing. Can't select any tools at all. I even tried opening up an old file with a known good toolpath, everything is there and selected as it was but if I go to edit which tool I'm using they are all greyed out too.

Help?

Chris

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Can't select ANY tools in Vcarve Pro 11

Post by Adrian »

Tool settings are associated with the selected Material and the selected machine. Until you have created the settings for that combination the tools will be greyed out.

Select a greyed out tool and the Copy Settings From section will appear. Click Copy and change any settings you need and you're good to go for that tool.

It's the same way that it worked in V10 as well but if you didn't change materials/machines you might not have noticed.

mohamed
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: Craft CNC DS1

Post by mohamed »

Can't tell what other machines you have there, but you must have been using a machine in V10.x. It might just be easier to rename your existing machine and adding a post-processor to it, as opposed to creating a new one and setting up all the tools for it?
--------------
Mohamed
++++++++

TomWS
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: OB Lead 1010, Mach3; OB C-Beam 1060 grbl

Post by TomWS »

FamousElements wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:56 pm
The Machine Configuration Management page doesn't have an option for a Shapeoko Pro (or anything Shapeoko related) so I created a new machine and added the Shapeoko post processor.
I installed V11 yesterday and one of the things that greatly pleased me is that, during the installation, I was given a choice to migrate my V10.5 tools, post processors, etc, to the new installation. Very handy. I don't know if you can launch this after the fact, but I highly recommend this step.

FamousElements

Post by FamousElements »

Thank you for the help!

I did what you guys suggested and just took one of the machines that worked, copied it, renamed it, and added the appropriate post-processor to it.

Now to figure out how to get certain tools into certain operations. For instance I see a 'diamond drag' tool in 'quick engraving' but not in 'v-carve / engraving toolpath'. I figured that might be the right tool for the job but I might just try and create a vcarve bit with similar dimensions to bypass the headache. I added a vinyl cutter attachment to my machine and it's leaving tabs when I do 'quick engraving' like the tool doesn't quite return to the original entry point. Was hoping to maybe try it with the 'v-carve/engraving' toolpath so I could potentially add some lead out but I'm coming up short.
IMG_9251.jpg
IMG_9252.jpg

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Not all tools can be used with all toolpaths. For a v-carve toolpath, for example, you can use v-bits and ballnoses only.

From what you're describing you should be using a profile toolpath, a v-carve toolpath isn't gong to work with a vinyl cutter even if you use a dummy tool.

FamousElements

Post by FamousElements »

I think I might have figured it out.

I used just a profile toolpath with the dummy of a 1/32 endmill, created some lead in/out with overlap and it cut PERFECTLY.