Ramps and Tabs

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
jenordyke
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: OneFinity

Ramps and Tabs

Post by jenordyke »

Today I was working on a much larger project than any previous...I needed fairly thick/robust tabs on profile cutout, and something didn't "sound right"...that's when I realized for the first time that ramping only appears to apply to the very beginning of a cut at a specific depth; the sound I was hearing was the bit jamming down into the wood on the 'far side' of a tab. As I am pretty new to Vectric Pro, am I missing some setting or check box so that I get a ramp when the retracted bit reaches the far side of the tab? It only seems logical this would be possible - the need/reason for ramping remains whether you need to ease in at the very start of a cut or in the middle of a cut......

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Re: Ramps and Tabs

Post by martin54 »

if you need the bit to ramp where you have placed your tabs then you will need to check the box that says 3D tabs :lol: :lol:

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

jenordyke wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:06 pm
so that I get a ramp when the retracted bit reaches the far side of the tab? It only seems logical this would be possible
If a ramp always started on the "far side" of a tab how would the far side of the tab ever get cut vertically?

jenordyke
Vectric Apprentice

Post by jenordyke »

Ummm, by ramping down while moving forward, getting to depth, and then "backing up"? If a flat bit without center cut needs to ramp in at the beginning of a 1/4 deep profile cut, it needs to ramp in before continuing that cut on the 'far side' of the tab, doesn't it?

jenordyke
Vectric Apprentice

Post by jenordyke »

Thank you, Martin.