Multi-Sheet Questions

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
kstrauss
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Tormach PCNC770

Multi-Sheet Questions

Post by kstrauss »

I've started using my newly purchased upgrade to v11 and have some questions about sheets:
Is there a way to preview the result of running the toolpaths on all sheets? In the tutorial ( there is a mention of seeing the toolpaths for all sheets which works. Is there a way to preview the result of running the paths on all sheets?

When I group features on one sheet and then copy them to another sheet they seem to lose their grouping and must be regrouped. Is there a way to copy groups and keep their original grouping?

When I recalculate all toolpaths it seems to do all sheets. Is there a way to recalculate all toolpaths on the current sheet?

When I save the toolpaths for one sheet the default file name is that of the "master" sheet. Is there a way to use the name of the current sheet as the default? Is there any way to save the toolpaths for all sheets into their individual files without having to save each sheet separately?

Thanks for any help!

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Multi-Sheet Questions

Post by Adrian »

You can't preview all sheets in one go. You can only ever preview the active sheet and the toolpaths associated with it.

Grouping and copying works fine for me. The groups are preserved. If you mean selecting individual vectors and copying as a selection then the selection is lost when you switch sheets as that involves a mouse click.

I don't save all sheets at once as I often need to modify a sheet based on what happened on previous ones. I save the toolpaths for a sheet (Visible toolpaths to one file) and then Recalulate All and save the next one in the same way.

mohamed
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: Craft CNC DS1

Post by mohamed »

kstrauss wrote:
When I save the toolpaths for one sheet the default file name is that of the "master" sheet. Is there a way to use the name of the current sheet as the default? Is there any way to save the toolpaths for all sheets into their individual files without having to save each sheet separately?
You can use this toolpath saving option to save all visible toolpaths to multiple files. I think it names the files based on the sheet name in multi-sheet projects.
--------------
Mohamed
++++++++

kstrauss
Vectric Craftsman

Post by kstrauss »

I'm probably misunderstanding. Choosing "Visible toolpaths to multiple files" puts one toolpath per file (as expected). What I'm looking for is to save all toolpaths for the job into one file per sheet since I have an automatic tool changer post.

mohamed
Vectric Staff

Post by mohamed »

That's where the "Group where possible" option comes in.
--------------
Mohamed
++++++++

kstrauss
Vectric Craftsman

Post by kstrauss »

With "Group where possible" checked it sorta works except:
If I select a file name of "Fixture" and a new sheets are called "Stops" and "Straps", the generated file names are "Stops_Fixture_5-10-Spot" where "Spot" is the first toolpath on the Stops sheet and "Straps_Fixture...". It would seem more logical to name the file "Fixture_Stops..." and "Fixture_Straps...".

dealguy11
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Anderson Selexx 510

Post by dealguy11 »

I'd prefer different naming options, but this is what we have for now. It's an improvement over the last version since it includes the sheet name in the file name. The toolpath numbers are pretty useless for my purposes, but perhaps they have value to some users.
Steve Godding
Not all who wander (or wonder) are lost

kstrauss
Vectric Craftsman

Post by kstrauss »

Fancier naming options might be great but I'd be happy with the current choice if the master sheet and additional sheet name were simply reversed. That way I could sort the names within a folder and have related files together rather than scattered helter skelter ordered by sub-sheet name. That is, the .CRV file followed by all saved toolpaths for that .CRV.

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Post by sharkcutup »

I don't see a problem! Am I missing something here?
Screenshot 2021-07-26 074954.png

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

sharkcutup wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:51 pm
I don't see a problem! Am I missing something here?
He wants it the other way around with the chosen file name first and the sheet name second.

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard

Post by sharkcutup »

Oh Okay ---

:roll:

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro 11.554

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard

Post by sharkcutup »

I believe the assigned/chosen file name is redundant because in my case my folder name where the toolpath is saved is assigned the assigned/chosen name usually the project name.

I am working within Toolpaths so I am led to believe Sheets with vectors have priority here for without sheets with vectors toolpaths could not exist. So I choose a sheet with vectors I intend to create toolpaths for. Then continue same process for the remaining sheets.

I see no problem with sheets being first in line of the .tap file of a toolpath save.

And if course woking in the workshop on a job setup I am setting up everything based upon a particular jobs sheet toolpath.

Just my thoughts/opinions!

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro 11.554

kstrauss
Vectric Craftsman

Post by kstrauss »

Using the "Group where possible" option as suggested earlier and with the sheets in Fixture I get the attached file list.
Attachments
2021-07-26 (1).png

mohamed
Vectric Staff

Post by mohamed »

kstrauss wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:33 am
Using the "Group where possible" option as suggested earlier and with the sheets in Fixture I get the attached file list.
We will look into this. I can't see a reason why it wouldn't be the other way around. Thanks!
--------------
Mohamed
++++++++

mohamed
Vectric Staff

Post by mohamed »

I believe that should now be adjusted to be the other way around, please let us know if you're having any trouble with it.
--------------
Mohamed
++++++++