Vcarve Pro on the Mac Mini M1

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
topotrev
Model of CNC Machine: Avid Pro

Re: Vcarve Pro on the Mac Mini M1

Post by topotrev »

Just throwing another "I wish I could run vcarve pro on mac" hat into the ring. I got a new alienware setup to try to switch my macbook pro workflow over to PC so I would not have to swap so many files back and forth but honestly windows experience has been terrible (coming from the mac OS). I still can't get certain programs to run well and even with a seemly top of the line PC most things are no faster than my 2018 MBP was... I was really hoping to upgrade to the new IMAC pro next year with their M1 chips and get rid of the PC but doesn't look like this will be as easy as I had hoped for... Anyway hope that parallels or windows 11 or something starts to work in the next few months...

JimmyJ
Model of CNC Machine: sidewinder cnc

Post by JimmyJ »

ken whiklo wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:43 pm
Just ordered a Macbook Pro 16" M1 32 core GPU, 32 GB Ram, 1 TB SSD
Delivery is end of November. I will install Parallels 17 and they try Vcarve Pro. I will be the guinea pig on figuring out if this combination will work. Keep you posted.
Have you had a chance to try this yet?

ken whiklo
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: CWI Professor 2.2

Post by ken whiklo »

As I posted earlier, it doesn't work. Parallels 17 will not allow you to import existing VM's and creating them has proven a challenge. Took the computer back. Waiting until they get the bugs out. People at the Apple store were aware of the issues.

Jamesewing2
Model of CNC Machine: Onefinity X-35

Post by Jamesewing2 »

So I am running a M1 MAX MacBook Pro with Parallels 17 running the Beta Arm Win 11 and it finally working. There was some glitches in the beginning. I have tried a few different things with Files being saved. So Right now I cannot save them to my iCloud account due to the file path name. So, I have a SSD that I save all my CNC stuff to and am working on a better way to back up these files so I do not loose anything. But everything is working just like it did on my Intel Mac.

rink
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: OpenBuilds LEAD 1510 / VCarve Pro

Post by rink »

Good morning.
Any idea what changed to now allow this?
Mac OS?
Windows?
Parallels?

I’ve kinda been waiting to convert from PC to Mac, until this was sorted out (among other things, like Power Query in Excel for Mac).

Thx, rink.
I want to be unique like everyone else.

Jamesewing2
Model of CNC Machine: Onefinity X-35

Post by Jamesewing2 »

I have been working with Customer service for both Vectric and Parallels and they both have not done any updates during this time frame. Windows 11 ARM has done something like 200 updates in the past two months. So, I would say that it is windows ARM team that has this up and running.

rink
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: OpenBuilds LEAD 1510 / VCarve Pro

Post by rink »

That’s interesting. I read an interview with a MS exec from sometime in early 2021 I think. The question was posed about when MS might provide a solution to support VMs (e.g. Parallels) running Windows on the new Apple ARM chip. He said MS had no plans to do so.

I suppose all three (Apple, MS, Parallels) have probably had a lot of pressure to fix it. Guess MS finally got enough pressure to do so.

Wonder if that would also improve the ability of Excel to run normally?

Thx, rink.
I want to be unique like everyone else.

ken whiklo
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: CWI Professor 2.2

Post by ken whiklo »

Jamesewing2 wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:41 pm
So I am running a M1 MAX MacBook Pro with Parallels 17 running the Beta Arm Win 11 and it finally working. There was some glitches in the beginning. I have tried a few different things with Files being saved. So Right now I cannot save them to my iCloud account due to the file path name. So, I have a SSD that I save all my CNC stuff to and am working on a better way to back up these files so I do not loose anything. But everything is working just like it did on my Intel Mac.
Did you transfer your existing VM from your previous computer or did you have to create a new one?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

What time scale are we talking about? I got an email a few days ago about a new update to 17.1 that had just been released. I haven't used Macs for years but I used to be an Apple dealer so I still get loads of (useless to me now) email updates.

Holzarbeiter
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger SR24

Post by Holzarbeiter »

Jamesewing2 wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:41 pm
I just got my new M1 Mac and Windows 11 installed under Parallels 17. So far I can open existing files (as long as they are stored on the Windows C Drive), edit files, create new files and save files. The issue Im running into is that, if I try to load a piece of clipart, Aspire just shuts down. Did you experience this issue? And if so how did you get around it? Thanks for any info you may have.
Joe

I have a chip on my shoulder....several more in my hair and lots more all over my shop floor.