Vcarve Pro on the Mac Mini M1

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
rlabarre
Model of CNC Machine: Mpcnc low rider v2

Vcarve Pro on the Mac Mini M1

Post by rlabarre »

So I know there have been a few posts about the M1 chips and vectric software.
I really think vectric needs to rethink their position on this. ARM based chips are the future (clearly) Google is developing one as well.
I have a mac mini m1 in the house right now, and Vectric through parrallels loads, but as soon as I open a file it crashes.
I can get around some of the other apps I need on PC, but I do so much work in vcarve, its causing me to send the M1 back to apple, if I cant figure it out.
Has anyone successfully got it working in any way shape or form? Obviously I could run a PC and VNC or Remote desktop etc but that requires me to own another PC like device.
Just curious if this is something someone has figured out.
Thanks

ken.gentry
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Joe's CNC 4x4

Re: Vcarve Pro on the Mac Mini M1

Post by ken.gentry »

The issue of running VCarve/Aspire natively on a Mac has very little to do with the M1 processor. It would be a huge undertaking to rewrite the software to run on a Mac regardless of processor. The GUI libraries between Windows and Mac are hugely different. Vectric would need to hire Mac GUI development experts to do the work. Once developed then Vectric would almost double the QC testing and support efforts.

It's likely a very low priority since VCarve runs on the Intel version of Parallels. Once Parallels is running well on M1 then you will be set.

Ken

ctbjdm
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: TBD

Post by ctbjdm »

Agreed - I'm a Mac user, like OSX and apps associated with it. I don't think it would make sense from a cost/volume/investment perspective for Vectric to spend cycles working on an OSX version...but curious to hear other people's thoughts.

RAWDAD
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Router Parts Pro48x96

Post by RAWDAD »

I, for one, avoided buying Vcarve for years because I absolutely hate Windows as an OS.
I would have jumped into Vcarve a long time ago if it had a native Mac build.

For now, I'm running it through Parallels on my Intel Mac laptop. I'm waiting for a Windows release that'll work with the M1 before I install it all on my main design computer (an M1 Mac Mini).

Tex_Lawrence
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko3XXL; JTech7W; V-CarvePro 11.554

Post by Tex_Lawrence »

It isn't all that difficult to live with once your using Vectric's tools. The only difference is the file system, and that's all solved for you with the network operations.

I'm using all of Apple's products in one way or other, but I have a dedicated (and somewhat isolated) PC that is just for Vectric tools.

I wouldn't gain anything by running it on my Mac computers; even in Parallels.
Tex — Crooked Wood Products
Now there's a man with an open mind – you can feel the breeze from here.

rlabarre

Post by rlabarre »

Yeah, its not that big of a deal, however I use a large ultrawide for work here, and i use vectric tools all day off and on, and having to monitor swap etc is a pain.. so Id have to figure out something else. would just be MUCh easier to work on mac, but i understand it likely isnt happening

ken whiklo
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: CWI Professor 2.2

Post by ken whiklo »

I am currently running Vcarve Pro 10.5 on a Macbook with Parallels. I am going to get a new Macbook when the larger model with the M1 chip comes out. People who use the current M1 / Parallels combination have reported poor results. Has anyone tried Parallels version 16.5? If so, how do it stack up?

rink
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: OpenBuilds LEAD 1510 / VCarve Pro

Post by rink »

Good day everyone.
Have there been any further developments on this question of running VCarve through Parallels on the Mac with the new M1 chip?

I think I saw there is now a Parallels v17 avail, maybe? Wonder if that fixed the issues?

I'm considering a Mac purchase and this question will affect my direction. Appreciate any updates.

Thx, rink.
I want to be unique like everyone else.

rlabarre

Post by rlabarre »

I havent heard anything new... I am willing to get the new M1Max Macbook Pro but not until vectric works.

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

One solution might be to connect to a Cloud PC. You could connect to that with multiple devices.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

rlabarre

Post by rlabarre »

Yeah, i could set up a laptop and remote in to it etc, but nothing is seamless.. I hate windowed options, etc...
There are always workarounds, but i love parralels or rosetta that make the app look like any other app running...
Ill stick with stupid arse windows for a while i guess haha

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

I noticed VMware does not plan to support installing or running x86 VMs on Macs with Apple silicon. The link explains some of the licensing as well as technical issues involved.

BTW, I just ordered a MacBook Air with the M1 chip for my daughter. We upgraded the memory and are getting the 2TB SSD for storage.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

ken whiklo
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: CWI Professor 2.2

Post by ken whiklo »

Just ordered a Macbook Pro 16" M1 32 core GPU, 32 GB Ram, 1 TB SSD
Delivery is end of November. I will install Parallels 17 and they try Vcarve Pro. I will be the guinea pig on figuring out if this combination will work. Keep you posted.

rlabarre

Post by rlabarre »

double post
Last edited by rlabarre on Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rlabarre

Post by rlabarre »

ok... UPDATE

Parrelels is a no go. You can install windows, and install vectric when you go to open a file, etc it just errors and crashes.. Tried it on a Mac M1 Mini, and a Macbook Air M1

However
I installed VMW Fusion on the Macbook Air M1, and installed the Windows 11 ISO (LONGGGGG process to get this working)
Then installed vectric and it works great. No issues.

Process is
1. Download Fusion https://blogs.vmware.com/teamfusion/202 ... lable.html
2. Follow this video
3. Follow This video

That should get you in to a stable windows 11 version.