Toolpath Template Library

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Robroy
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ Pacer 5010

Toolpath Template Library

Post by Robroy »

Good day all, I was wondering if there is a way to save a toolpath(s) from one job and then load it to apply to another job (regardless if geometry changes)? I know how to save all of the toolpaths to a template, but when you open new file and load the toolpath template it simply adds the saved toolpaths in the toolpath menu. You still have to manually select the vector group and apply one toolpath at a time. Is there a shortcut for this part?

The reason why I ask is because I typically have to divide my jobs in 1/4 sheets, then run multiple toolpaths and passes for each quarter. So I typically have 8 - 12 toolpaths on general jobs. I am trying to make life easier if possible. Any advice would be great.

Thank you

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Toolpath Template Library

Post by Adrian »

Sounds like you're not using the automatic vector selection part of the process. Look at the bottom of the toolpath dialog and you'll see a "Vector Selection" section. Click the button and setup the layers and vector types you want associated with the toolpath not forgetting to check the "Associate with toolpath" box.

Now when you save that toolpath as a template and load it into a new job it will automatically associate with any vectors that match and all you have to do create the actual toolpaths is click the Recalculate all button.

See this video for more details - https://www.vectric.com/support/tutoria ... eralTopics

Robroy
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Robroy »

Thank you Adrian. I see that the layers were imported in via DXF, however all of our work comes to us in a AI/PDF file where there are no layers established. Is there a work around for this? What I saw in the video is that the auto vector selector works because the layers were established beforehand.

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

VCarve's inability to import an AI file and keep the layers has been an irritant. From Illustrator you can export to a DWG file (version 2018 is great) and that will preserve the layer structure on import.

Robroy
Vectric Apprentice

Post by Robroy »

I suspected that will be the issue.... Now to get the pre-press designers to create layers and export them. /sigh :?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

I ask for external data in SVG format as most modern software can generate those files and they support layers and colours with the Vectric import process. 90% of my work is designed by me though so it's rarely an issue fortunately.