Pocket Toolpath

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
nikonwalker
Model of CNC Machine: Probotix Asteroid

Pocket Toolpath

Post by nikonwalker »

Hi Guys
Today I tried a pocket toolpath as I have done many times before , I wanted a rectangle 49 x 24.5mm. No mater what tooling I used I would end up with a rectangle bigger than what I asked for. Even if I used the clearance first and a finishing bit , it did the same.If I asked for a Profile Toolpath and cut inside , the measurements were accurate.
Not sure what is going on as I have done this so many times.
Hope someone can help.
Terry

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Re: Pocket Toolpath

Post by adze_cnc »

If you are using the same tool(s) for both the pocket and the profile paths then really just about the only things that could make the pocket larger are:
  • you've specified a pocket offset. Although I don't suspect this as that offset would need to be negative.
  • you are using a large bit, its step-over is greater than 50%, and you are using an offset pocket clearance strategy
Does the preview look right? If the preview is right and the cut is wrong it's probably not the software.

Salmon's lair
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot PRS Alpha 120-60

Post by Salmon's lair »

You could try and calibrate your cutter setting by machining a groove then taking a measurement of the width
of the groove and use this as your cutter diameter.

Have you checked your machine for any slop in the drivetrain ?

nikonwalker
Model of CNC Machine: Probotix Asteroid

Post by nikonwalker »

Thanks guys,
The last time I bought some new router bits , when entering into database I copied another bit but forgot to change the diameter to the new router bit.
Something very simple but it had me baffled for most of the day
Terry