G code

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
TomGB
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: SharkHD4

G code

Post by TomGB »

Still a rookie CNC'er making things for family and friends. I see a lot on the forum about G code, but as of yet nothing I have made has required me to delve into G code. I'm wondering if I am missing something that would expand what I could do. For this degree of CNC'er would it be significantly beneficial for me to be able to modify my G Code, and if so, is there a source for G code for dummies? Thanks in advance.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: G code

Post by Adrian »

Being able to read g-code is useful in some circumstances but, in my opinion, you're not really missing out anything if you can't when using software like VCarve unless making the cuts as efficient as they can possibly be is important to you. That's the whole point of CAM software like this. It shields you from having to know the ins and outs of what is actually making the machine work.

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

I have been writing G-Code programs in my career as a manufacturing engineer on the job for 40 years. I am well versed as some may say.

Do I ever edit my CNC G-Code. Well yes I do, but extremely infrequently. I do so because it is extremely easy for me to do so. Do I feel the Need? -NO-

It is soooooo easy to update a Vectric program that there is really no need to edit G-Code. I do it as I need only because it is so easy for me but in reality MOST of the time I just update my Vectric file.

Updating the Vectric file is far more better. WHY?
Well if you save the Vectric file for future reference it will have ALL your updates. If you change the G-Code the changes do NOT get saved.

As for saving - I do NOT save G-Code files, but I DO save the Vectric file.
I can reload my Vectric File and post new code.

Being able to read and understand G-Code is definitely a PLUS, but not essential. It does take a bit of getting used to it. There are a few basic codes to understand. G0 - G1 - G2 - G3 - Sxx - Fxx, are about the most basic. Understand the Cartesian Coordinate System is key to understanding G-Code. When I teach G-Code it is one of the first things on my agenda.

Programming G-Code can be very useful. One thing you can do with G-Code is to get the tool to move EXACTLY the way you want. Each and ever word in the G-Code file is at your discretion. Minute details of movement can be made in ways than I have never seen ANY CAM software achieve, not even $20,000 software. If your control is capable (most hobby machines are not), then even parametric programs can be written using BASIC computer language commands. I have written many on industrial machines. Recently a poster was asking about side drilling. That could be EASILY achieved with G-Code - IF - you know how. Undercut - Dovetails - Key pockets - so much more. BUT - is it NECESSRY - no!

After all - this forum has several members that read G-Code quite well. You can always post a G-Code file and we can look it over for you.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

TomGB
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: SharkHD4

Post by TomGB »

thank you both, I think I'll leave G code to the "Wizards"

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

IMHO about the only time the typical user needs to know any g code is when the machine is suddenly acting strange. If that happens an average person can figure out how to read the necessary g code in a few minutes once they understand the first bunch of lines is machine configuration and has little to do with motion.

Motion on a machine is controlled by a handful of codes, G0, G1, G2, G3. Where it is going is controlled by X, Y, Z.

I have watched threads on the forum trying to solve some machine issue that could have eliminated the software being a problem by just a quick look at the g code. BTW, if you ever do have a problem with machine motion, pretty much 99.999% of the time it is not software causing the issue.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns