Copying Vectors an dAssociated Toolpaths into New file?

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
sli21
Model of CNC Machine: QuickCNC 2.2kW Spindle 600/900

Copying Vectors an dAssociated Toolpaths into New file?

Post by sli21 »

hi all
I was hoping to get some advice on copying vectors and toolpaths.
Many thanks in advance :D

I have 3 separate parts of a guitar jig setup in 3 different vcarve files.
Is ther an easy way to copy all the separate vectors and associated toolpaths from all three files into one new nested file?
One of the files is two sided.
I have 'saved' the toolpaths from one file using the 'save toolpaths as a template'option but they dont seem to come into the new file associated with the copied vectors?? Do i have to reassociate/relink them?

Also is there an easy way to 'move' both front and rear vectors on a two sided file so they are linked and move together if i am repositioning them on the material?

Any thought swould be great
many thanks Scott

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Copying Vectors an dAssociated Toolpaths into New file?

Post by Adrian »

You can use the Import Vectors on the File menu to import the vectors from other VCarve files or start multiple copies of VCarve and copy/paste between them.

For the toolpaths you save them as a template and then load them in the new file. If the layers don't exist then it will ask you if you want to create them or to skip those toolpaths. If that doesn't happen double check that the toolpath association was set to automatic on the vector selector in the toolpath before saving.

Tex_Lawrence
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko3XXL; JTech7W; V-CarvePro 11.554

Post by Tex_Lawrence »

sli21 wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:44 pm
Any thought swould be great
many thanks Scott
Scott, you didn't say what software you are using. If Vcarve Desktop, then there are limitations in those areas.
Tex — Crooked Wood Products
Now there's a man with an open mind – you can feel the breeze from here.

sli21
Model of CNC Machine: QuickCNC 2.2kW Spindle 600/900

Post by sli21 »

hi again
thanks for the help
Tex - i am using VCarve Pro
many thanks Scott

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Post by sharkcutup »

A good habit to get into when in the design stage is to plan the design vectors and toolpaths in a way where you can make use of the tools/features available with in V-Carve, example: Vectors to Layers, Toolpath Association to Layers, Various Types of Toolpath Creation, etc....

Of course again there are so many different features and ways a project can be achieved within V-Carve. It certainly does help to know and understand the software's features.

I myself will admit after nearly 7 years using V-Carve Pro I still do not know the V-Carve Pro program entirely (Example: I have just briefly worked with the TEXTURING feature so I know very little about how it functions) but of course too I have not had a need for it in any of my projects thus far.

When I started out I too just manually selected vectors for toolpaths but as time went by I decided to look into the other features within V-Carve such as Layers and Layers to Toolpath Association . I have then found they can be very useful for many of my projects.
Of course as I have said earlier it all comes down to the actual planning with the design stage of a project. Not all projects favor to go to that extreme in the design stages but you would be surprised once you know and understand those features functions/advantages/benefits you will attempt to use them in as many projects as you possibly can.

Just my Thoughts/Opinions!!!

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554