STL files freezing up VC 10.5

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
jcatcmc
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark pro plus

STL files freezing up VC 10.5

Post by jcatcmc »

Hi,
I have been having some success downloading and carving STL files but lately some are freezing up the screen completely ( V Carve not responding ) . Might this be corrupted files or the way I am unzipping them.? They appear as Certificate Trust List files after unzipping ( Windows 7 )

John

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Re: STL files freezing up VC 10.5

Post by martin54 »

If you are carrying out the same operations & some are ok & some are not then it is probably nothing to do with unzipping them. It may be corrupt files, I am not sure if the software gives any sort of error message.
It may be down to the size of the files & the computer you are using taking a long time, I have had the message about the software not responding in the past when dealing with large files on my laptop which doesn't have that high a spec. If I just left it doing it's own thing it would eventually respond :lol: :lol:
Might be worth leaving it longer when this happens just to see.

scotttarnor
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Piranha XL , Shark HD520

Post by scotttarnor »

I have problems like you described on my old laptop with large detailed 3D files, the same file will open with no issues on my newer laptop.
Scott T

@scottscnc

wb9tpg
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko 3 XL

Post by wb9tpg »

I had some large 500M+ STL files that had that problem. I loaded them in Blender and used it's decimate command to reduce the file to 50M or so. They loaded into Vcarve just fine after that. No perceptible loss of quality if you don't go overboard.
Gary Mitchell
Kentucky, USA