upgrading from desktop cut 2d

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
abushy1
Model of CNC Machine: millright mega v

upgrading from desktop cut 2d

Post by abushy1 »

I've been using easel as my post processor but I understand that there are better options, for example tool changes. any thoughts about which post processor works best with Ventric software? Which is easiest to learn? I've seen videos on you tube about win 2 cnc, but it seems like I'd have to get a different controller. any help will be appreciated.

TomWS
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: OB Lead 1010, Mach3; OB C-Beam 1060 grbl

Re: upgrading from desktop cut 2d

Post by TomWS »

Your machine 'speaks' GRBL so the correct post processor is probably Grbl_inch.pp or Grbl_mm.pp depending on your orientation...

You may need to modify the post processor to change default file extension as the current default is "gcode". Copy the post processor to the 'My_PostP' folder and modify it there, not in the original folder. Be careful to 'copy' not 'move'.

To get to these folders, start VCarve and go to File->Open Application Data Folder. You'll see all the relevant folders there. The original post processors can be found in PostP folder.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

abushy1 wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:58 pm
I've been using easel as my post processor but I understand that there are better options, for example tool changes. any thoughts about which post processor works best with Ventric software? Which is easiest to learn? I've seen videos on you tube about win 2 cnc, but it seems like I'd have to get a different controller. any help will be appreciated.
Sounds like you're getting confused between post processors and control software. They are entirely different things.

The post processor is the set of commands that converts your toolpaths in the Vectric software to whatever control software it is you are using (that is what TomWS is talking about above).

The control software (Win CNC, Mach3, etc) is what takes the commands produced by the post processor and makes the machine do the actual movements.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

As Adrian says it sounds like you are getting your software mixed up a bit. If you already own cut2D then you can do all your toolpathing in cut 2D & then output ready to be imported into your control software for cutting :lol: :lol: