i cant figure out what I've done wrong

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Custom carving
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: next wave shark 520

Re: i cant figure out what I've done wrong

Post by Custom carving »

I have learned most of the basics I just tend to forget since I can’t work with it on a regular basis
Yes layered text is advanced for sure. And I’m almost up to speed but not quite just yet I’m definitely going to keep after it till I have mastered this skill
If you look at demo 2 the islands are gone when I welded it and haven’t figured out how to add them back in but I will try some more demo 3 looks better but cuts through the island
I WILL GET THIS !!!! I just need more time to practice
I try to learn something every day

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

I've not looked at your file, don't have software on this machine. did you ungroup before welding? If you have carried out welding with the island selected then they are gone & there is no way to get them back, what you need to do is deselect the islands, carry out the weld operation & then reselect the islands. Couple of ways to do that in my previous post.
Rome wasn't built in a day so I'm told :lol: :lol: :lol:

Custom carving
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Custom carving »

Yes so I have been told
I learn something new every time I turn around no wonder I couldn’t find my island again now back to the drawing board as soon as I get things settled down
Sometimes life gets in the way of good woodworking

stanv77
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Legacy 3x5 cnc

Post by stanv77 »

See if this will help you. I think the draft on the text helps to keep the letters from chipping.
Attachments
wedding demo 5.crv3d
(2.02 MiB) Downloaded 48 times

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

Excellent sentiment behind your file work Stan, But VCP can't read a .crv3d or add Draft.
Good for concept if he has an Aspire demo downloaded.
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Post by sharkcutup »

A good tip to get into doing --

Either copying vectors to a new layer call it "master vectors" OR
Create a folder called "master vectors" then export vectors as .dxf or eps and save to the folder created.

This way you will always have the original vectors if something either happens within V-carve or it is just plain operator error.

Just a thought/opinion!

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

sharkcutup wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:02 pm
A good tip to get into doing --

Either copying vectors to a new layer call it "master vectors" OR
Create a folder called "master vectors" then export vectors as .dxf or eps and save to the folder created.

This way you will always have the original vectors if something either happens within V-carve or it is just plain operator error.

Just a thought/opinion!

Sharkcutup
Since this is a text based sign I would take that one stage further, put your original text on a seperate layer, lock the layer & turn it off so you can't see it. Once text has been converted to curves it is no longer Text as such & in the future you have no way of knowing which fonts you used. By leaving the original text unconverted you can go back at any time & check what you used :lol: :lol: :lol:
By turning off the visibility & locking the layer it isn't going to get in your way & you won't be able to change it accidently.

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Post by sharkcutup »

Since this is a text based sign I would take that one stage further, put your original text on a seperate layer, lock the layer & turn it off so you can't see it. Once text has been converted to curves it is no longer Text as such & in the future you have no way of knowing which fonts you used. By leaving the original text unconverted you can go back at any time & check what you used :lol: :lol: :lol:
By turning off the visibility & locking the layer it isn't going to get in your way & you won't be able to change it accidently.
Thank You martin54!

Good advice!!!
Those tips completely skipped my ole mind!

As you have mentioned to Lock Layers --- When I first started using Layers I had some strange things happening within the Layers! Of course at the time I didn't completely understand how they functioned as individual layers and their association with the other layers. Can be a challenge but as time permits and with continuous use of V-Carve with its many features I have grown to understand the software with every use!

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554

Custom carving
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Custom carving »

you guys hit the nail on the head on what my exact problem is with layering. I have gotten my layers mixed up and have to start over. I have learned how to turn things off but I haven't tried to lock anything yet. If I have an oops and get my layers mixed up I just don't save the changes and start over which can be very frustrating.
Now I know why that file would not open I don't have aspire. Someone said something about a trial download I may try that. I start my new job tomorrow so I may try later tonight to see if I can work out some of my design errors. My tongue is hanging out from doing lawn work for 5 hours today. I had some weed wacking that had not been done since last season. it was pretty brutal. Maybe I should change my signature to "real life gets in the way of making man glitter"

Custom carving
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Custom carving »

boy so much for being off 4 days after working 4 12 hour shifts. The new job has been very busy and this is the first time since I started the new job in July that I have had a chance to do any programming. I wanted to go back over my posts and rewatch the video on layered or stacking text and could not find the bookmark.

martin54
Vectric Archimage

Post by martin54 »

Custom carving wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:38 pm
boy so much for being off 4 days after working 4 12 hour shifts. The new job has been very busy and this is the first time since I started the new job in July that I have had a chance to do any programming. I wanted to go back over my posts and rewatch the video on layered or stacking text and could not find the bookmark.
Not sure which tutorial you had bookmarked but Vectric have some on their youtube channel, if you search the vectric youtube channel for stacked text you will find them :lol: :lol:

Custom carving
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Custom carving »

thanks I will have to follow their u tube channel