"Harley Saga Tiny" OR "I must be Insane" :)

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Re: "Harley Saga Tiny" OR "I must be Insane" :)

Post by sharkcutup »

As Always - - AWESOME!!!

Enjoy reading your posts and viewing at your Awesome Projects!!!

Cheers,
Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554

scotttarnor
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Piranha XL , Shark HD520

Post by scotttarnor »

Awesome work Scott!
Scott T

@scottscnc

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Post by scottp55 »

Thanks guys!
Up at 3:30 before coffee trying to draw my offsets, and the .25mmTBN started cutting at 4am for this second pair..30engraving 2hr cut started 1/2 hr ago.
Think I'll stick with only doing 1 pair at a time, as with the font, it's about 4.5 hrs.
So 1 pair in the cool morning, and another after lunch during the warm part of the day.
Rushed this morning before coffee, as Mom is picking up her Big Harley at 10'ish.
Gives me time to brush and clean up this cut and throw a towel on these Tinys so surprise isn't ruined.
Hope she isn't way delayed like sometimes(and doesn't have something for me to fix NOW! :)
REALLY want to get 4 done in a day today(every other day, I have to quit at noon for wheelchair stuff).
So if I cut every day....maybe get 6 done every 2 days.

Camera was acting up, so no pics now:(
Dry cut with the .25mm TBN came out like yesterday's, and font is done and engraving cut looks good.
Only one pair in the drawing, so shifting my X axis over 3.75", and the using temp Zeroes each pair.
More room for me spacing out on how many shifts, so BIG post it notes are in order! :)
This is the smallest Monotype Corsiva I've done, so yesterday cheat Z up .005"...
today I didn't cheat it up...dang that gets close to the 3D!
FUNNY....Zoomed WAY in...it looks like I have Plenty of room on a 21" monitor! :)

Thanks again for the comments!
Time to clean my camera's contacts!
scott

WISH I could change this thread's title now! :)
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

Scott

Talk about the .25mm TBN cutter.

Ball DIAMETER?
Ball RADIUS?
Taper angle
Length of Taper
OAL (overall length)
Source - where to buy
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

scottp55
Vectric Wizard

Post by scottp55 »

Hey Leo,
Funny...searched before dawn for some new .125" shank .25mm TBNs as I THOUGHT I'd order a 5 pack!
Turns out I bought 2 of the assortments(so much for my memory) :oops:
Bloodwood is a Great wood for tiny details as it usually sinks in water, and grain is interlocked a bit.
BUT very dulling on tools, and I'll be cutting at least 60 of these(120 hours with the .25mm).
So I'm just reordering right at this moment,as only 2 new Sytools(out of business??) and 3 used Jerrays.

Spetool's .25" shank, 3" length, .25,1,1.5mm Tbns I've used this year and like them,
so ordering their .125" now.

Should be the same quality, but no personal experience with the .125" shanks.
Already ordered new Onsrud engravings that should be here next week.
And ordering some new Whiteside #1572 Pointed Round Overs(PRO is easier to write:)

LIKE the Jerray and Sytools I have!
These are cutting greater than shank diameter at a 1.5IPS in all axis in Bloodwood with no problem.
.125" shanks are roughly .5" CEL, and I've cut .48" depth in Sugar Maple if I start off the piece...
all other info should be in specs. OAL on Jerray is nominal 1.5"(but just measured one at 1.46").

Hope that covered it...spindle just shut down...and rushing to clean up before Mom arrives!
scott

Whoops...still signed in to Amazon, so link was bad....will redo link in a little while.
Attachments
Spetool .25mm tbn.jpg
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

Scott,

No need to redo anything.

I have a perfectly clear understanding of what we are talking about. I just wanted to verify what you were using.

While I was still working and HAD a little money that I could use to buy tooling, I did buy some of the SYTOOLS as well as others.

I DO have an ample supply of .25mm TBN cutters in my collection.

I am VERY busy with home projects, signs for customers, and tech support to a local customer. In the tiny pieces of time that I can find, I will slip in a fun project or three. :D

I remember doing a test cut with the SYTOOL on a brass Lion head. That worked out GREAT.

Thank you for your input.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

scotttarnor
Vectric Wizard

Post by scotttarnor »

I had picked these up off of Amazon for some of my smalls, they have performed well.
Attachments
1A579CE4-C708-4648-A4D7-6E54545731E5.png
Scott T

@scottscnc

scottp55
Vectric Wizard

Post by scottp55 »

How can I err.....Let me count the ways :)

When I started that first batch, there were 5 days of similar temps and humidity coming up,
SURELY I could carve 2 of the 5hr cuts on at Least 2 days....WRONG!
In 5 days I could only get 1 5hr pair done without interruption...no 10 hr days :oops:

SURELY putting carpet tape on the HDO, and then Duck "No Residue"on the Bloodwood blank
and then Firmly whacking it down would keep the Bloodwood flat as it was sealed...WRONG!
On the 5th day there was a very slight bow on that section(maybe 1 reject), but bow was more pronounced
on the 6th, and it would have been 2 more rejects.
8.13.21 BLOODWOOD HARLEYS WOOD BOWED FONT MESS.jpg
So, off the machine it came...and clamped firmly...and then clamped the bow lightly, tightening it each day until it was flat.
8.13.21 BLOODWOOD HARLEYS WOOD MOVED CLAMPED.jpg
SURELY I'd get 2 days of 70ishF temp and 55% humidity so spoilboard and workpiece would be
close to where they were when first 5 pr were cut??? WRONG!
2+ weeks of shop at 80+ and humidity never went below 85-95+% :oops:

Day before Ida remnants came through was cool night, and with dehumidifer going, got conditions.
Set up/measure/cut 3D/cut holes/and then the cutout path....8am to 5:30pm.
9.3.21 BLOODWOOD HARLEYS OFF 1.jpg
9.3.21 BLOODWOOD HARLEYS OFF 2.jpg
9.3.21 BLOODWOOD HARLEYS OFF 3.jpg
SURELY the fact that I used shellac on all 6 sides of the Bloodwood will be similar to using Linwax...
WRONG!
Linwax releases MUCH easier shellac did, and was a Royal PITA to remove where the clamps were!!
9.3.21 BLOODWOOD HARLEYS OFF 4 YUCKA.jpg
Let's see...welding visegrips and a renovators prybar to Start pulling on the long tape I left on one end.
Elbow grease and cussing to release the rest of the pairs. :oops:
9.3.21 BLOODWOOD HARLEYS OFF 5 FINALLY.jpg
9.3.21 BLOODWOOD HARLEYS OFF 9.jpg
Oh Well.....Live and learn AGAIN! :)
Spoilboard tightened down(less humidity),and surfaced .08" and FLAT in new environment.
Carrier board given a new coat of Carnauba/beeswax.
Now to find the flattest Bloodwood blank cull and surface back to 600G and Linwax it...and tape it on.
Then surface this new one to .235"...and start all over again:)

Thanks for looking...and laughter IS allowed! :)
scott
R.N.

scottp55
Vectric Wizard

Post by scottp55 »

So...Kinda been crazy since September third! :)
JUST machine time, with No prep/finish or Anything...was 3:20 each.
and 18 that are totally done to 600G and 6 coats(first one molten) wound up at 5 hrs Each.
Good thing Mom's guest list went down to 60, as that is exactly how many I made.
The 5 up on the paper towel JUST came out of the molten mix.18 Totally done except signatures, and other have 2-5 coats on them and need 6.
Gotta get back to work:)
(relatively insane to have to rob a halogen from the shop to wet sand 5,and add coats to others at this time)
Reminded me of a commercial at 2am for quite a few days;
"Time to make the Harleys" (paraphrased of course:)
scott
Attachments
9.30.21 MOMS HARLEY 2 TO 6 COATS 4AM.jpg
9.30.21 MOMS HARLEY 6 COATS AND DONE 2.jpg
9.30.21 MOMS HARLEY 6 COATS AND DONE.jpg
R.N.

BillK
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark Pro Plus

Post by BillK »

Scott,

Sounds like you are going to meet your goal, I have done some large scale production parts on my machine, but nothing that took anywhere close to 3.25 hours each. Admire your sticking to your schedule and getting it done.

And for some reason, I just only today noticed the date of October 10. My In-laws were married on 10-10 at 10am, and my Mother-In-Law has her 90th birthday also on October 8. Good Luck to the birthday girls!
BillK
https://www.facebook.com/CarvingsByKurtz

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard

Post by sharkcutup »

Those look AWESOME, Scott!!!

Oh and BTW -- the cussing, laughing (at or with yourself), etc... is all part of the process I tend to believe it is what keeps an individual from loosing his/her sanity, :lol:

Keep up the Fantastic Carvings!!!

One day (not exactly sure when) I may attempt a project of those small proportions!!!
Question: Have you tried a project looking through a microscope yet? --- Just Kidding!!! :)

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro 11.554

scotttarnor
Vectric Wizard

Post by scotttarnor »

Awesome work! You have incredible patience!
@sharkcutup get Scott some bits small enough and a model detailed enough and I am sure he would give the microscope at shot 😂!
Scott T

@scottscnc

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard

Post by sharkcutup »

I wonder how much coffee you would need to accomplish such a fete? Hmmmmm!

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro 11.554

scottp55
Vectric Wizard

Post by scottp55 »

CUTE Shark and Scott!! :)
Yep...When I grow up, "Me and MY Desktop" are going to become Carnies and join the Circus. :)
Look for us in the booth carving full names and dates of birth on a coffee bean. :D

I better make my espresso quatro now before I get any sillier!!
Also explain a database TBN "blooper" that turned into my only full reject out of the 60.
scott

Thanks Bill!
Mom laughed at your in laws 10-10- 10am :)
OH...And wish your Mother-In-Law a happy birthday a week early for me! :)
R.N.

scottp55
Vectric Wizard

Post by scottp55 »

OK...onto Blooper with a slight recap after resizing a few old full size Canon pics.
That first sheet in August I had to take clamps to from ying/yanging temps/humidity,
I'd surfaced to .235" and figured 150/400/600G with RO took it to .23"(and measurement very close).
But cutout was a Whiteside .25"R , BUT it has a tiny flat tip and at .24" the "wings" can start cutting!
I got 1 cutout with wing engaging Very slightly because of wood movement
(easy to sand out,but looked different than the others).

So(being a smart guy:), I dimensioned the second blank to .225" to give me more leeway on cutout,
and sanded out as .22".
Remember model was .12" and .01" below surface,
so I was breaking my rule of thumb never to cut more than 1/2 of material thickness.
I also placed Very slightly cupped blank cup down, surfaced, then started adding clamps on both ends.
9.8.21 MOM'S HARLEYS ENDS NOW CLAMPED.jpg
Now my 5 pack of SpeTool .25mm TBNs had just arrived and they measured exactly .125" shank/1.5" long,
exactly the same as the SyTool TBN I'd programmed and used for first dozen...SO left program the same,
and cut first pair.
No pic as I wasn't using DC so I could finally replace my Bloodwood dust(recut Tiny chips),and no environment for me or the Canon,but after collecting dust I could get, I vacced the cut...and it was AWFUL!
The tops of the tiny 3D font was virtually feathered thin,and vac and softest brush broke some tops off!!
HOPING to rescue a 1:48 cut, I cheated Z-Zero down .01" on the 2:18 30 degree engraving bit cut.
Came out even a little Worse! :(

Totally disgusted by the Spetool at 7am and after scratching my head a bit,
for my second pair I just put the slightly tired SysTool TBN back in for that day and the next and left that first pair to Possibly rescued LATER!

So during those 2 days of wondering what went wrong,
FINALLY went into my Important Info folder where I take a Greenshot of bit specs When I buy them.
The Systool had a side angle of 5.09 degrees;
2021-10-02 SyTool vs SpeTool TBN.jpg
The SpeTool had a side angle of 5.12 degrees??
Surely that tiny side angle difference couldn't be it???
When 3D font is that small, you bet it can!!
(I need to go back and double check side angle on my .25" TBNs).

I finished the rest of that board with SyTool, and then went back to the first Mucked Up cut.
Copied the .25mmTBN, BUT with the correct side angle...Cheated Z-Zero down .02" More...
and it cut perfectly and the 30 engraving cleaned up nicely!
But now it was .15" deep in .22" stock. :(
9.8.21 MOMS HARLEY LEFT PAIR RECUT .02 DEEPER.jpg
I also had brand new(not 4 yr old) Duck brand carpet tape, and the no residue tape,
so I had changed 4 things at one time:(
AND rushing to strip the MDO off and start a new blank, I forgot about the fragile last pair...
SPLIT the first one!!
(second one more delicately pulled off was good, and still is).
In pic, I'm adjusting pressure so that crack shows better;
10.1.21 MOM'S HARLEY .15 DEPTH MUCK UP TDB AND REMOVAL.jpg
So lesson learned once again...Don't Ass ume!!
Don't trust that TBN side angles between manufacturers just because tips/shank/length are the same!!
Won't matter for most, but if model has fine details, and you're trying fur/hair/eyeballs...it Might.

SO...I went back to .23" material, and had no problems now that ends are clamped, and temps allowed me to close windows in the house and run dehumidifier, and keep shop and house at 50% RH.

Only other reject was rushing Again:(
.235" cutout(max for that bit without wings cutting) with the roundover bit,
I had to be careful I was all the way through.
I use a mini jewelers burnishing tool with tip sharpened to score/cut all the way around the pieces.
Bloodwood can be splintery when removing...and apparently missed one edge and splinter tore out:(
Before it was smooth enough so it wouldn't snag cloth/fingers...
I will either be the last of the 60 chosen...
may even be the first(I've seen that happen because it's "different).
10.1.21 MOM'S HARLEYS MUCK UP 2 1.jpg
10.1.21 MOM'S HARLEYS MUCK UP 2 2.jpg
Time to get back and hand rub excess off applied an hour ago.
Thanks all!
scott

(Oh Shark...No idea,
BUT a 76 hour solo road trip in Roadtrek 210 from Kennebunk to Tucson was Exactly 52 espressos:)
R.N.