Windows 11 Compatibility

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
ken.gentry
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: Joe's CNC 4x4

Windows 11 Compatibility

Post by ken.gentry »

Has VCarve been tested in Windows 11 yet? I assume that Vectric is a Microsoft Solutions Provider so they should have early access to Windows releases for testing purposes.

Ken

wilkigr
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Sienci Long Mill

Re: Windows 11 Compatibility

Post by wilkigr »

I'm thinking that maybe you are kidding, but in case you are not, according to the most recent info that I can find on the Microsoft site, there is no windows 11 and maybe never will be. Have you found otherwise - other than internet rumours? :D

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

There is a announcement from Microsoft on the 24th which will probably be the schedule and feature reveal.

TomWS
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: OB Lead 1010, Mach3; OB C-Beam 1060 grbl

Post by TomWS »

Adrian wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:29 pm
There is a announcement from Microsoft on the 24th which will probably be the schedule and feature reveal.
And probably as accurate as any other armageddon forecast...

ken.gentry
Vectric Apprentice

Post by ken.gentry »

There are already credible tech sites showing GUI leaks and details of Windows 11. It will be announced on June 24 and likely be generally available within days or weeks after.

Another sign of another imminent release of the next version of Windows - Windows 10 now has an "end of life/support" date in 2025.

I'm not saying I will be upgrading on June 25 but prefer to begin planning to upgrade in the coming months. I am not a fan of clinging to old versions of Windows with a "If it ain't broke..." mindset.

Tex_Lawrence
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko3XXL; JTech7W; V-CarvePro 11.554

Post by Tex_Lawrence »

ken.gentry, thank you for beta testing all the software that I don't use until someone forces the old version from my gripping fingers. :D
Tex — Crooked Wood Products
Now there's a man with an open mind – you can feel the breeze from here.

ken.gentry
Vectric Apprentice

Post by ken.gentry »

No problem :wink:

Having been on many different types of software development projects over the last 30 years I have repeatedly seen problems where management would "kick the can" down the road on OS, driver and other app updates. It can get so bad that you can't get support in a time of critical need.

Nursing along a Windows XP, 7 or 8 system is a disaster waiting to happen. Someday a hard drive or motherboard will die on a production system causing an expensive work stoppage. There's also the cybersecurity problems with malware, ransomware, etc. Older versions of Windows are very easy for hackers to exploit.

Custom carving
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: next wave shark 520

Post by Custom carving »

Tex_Lawrence wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:09 pm
ken.gentry, thank you for beta testing all the software that I don't use until someone forces the old version from my gripping fingers. :D
you and me both brother!!!
I try to learn something every day

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

I don't really see the problem running an older version of windows, I do think it matters what circumstances you are running it under. A harddrive or motherboard could fail on any system regardless of what operating system you are running. My CNC control computer runs windows 7 & it's never been a problem, only software on it is the CNC control software, it's not connected to the internet & I make sure I maintain it. If a new version of the control software comes out & it doesn't support windows 7 then I will upgrade the computer.
My design Desktop at home runs windows 10, it's a newer (just) machine & is connected to the internet. My laptop is also running windows 10 because I use that on the internet :lol:

I ran a computer using windows 98 for a long time after XP was released because I simply couldn't afford to upgrade, the signmaking software I was using cost £3500 & wouldn't run under XP, an upgrade for the software at the time was something like £2000 which I just could not afford even though it was my job at the time :lol: :lol: The problems started to come when people started sending me design files that I wasn't able to open. I ended up switching to XP & having to buy software that was a lot cheaper then I originally had. Kept the old machine running though until I had converted all the work that had been done on it. :lol: :lol:

ken.gentry
Vectric Apprentice

Post by ken.gentry »

If a system with an old OS looses a hard drive or motherboard then the problem becomes how does it get restored or rebuilt. A lot of systems only come with Windows restore media on the original hard drive. If the system owner saved the restore media to discs then it could be possible to reimage a new hard drive with the old version of Windows. If the restore media was not created or the discs misplaced then there is no Windows OS to recreate the old system. You can take your chances with buying an old version of Windows XP, 7, etc. on eBay but there's no guarantee that it's a legit copy or that the OS was not reimaged with built-in malware, keyloggers, etc.

If you have the old Windows OS media then the problem becomes how can old compatible device drivers be downloaded and installed. If vendors of video cards, sound cards, etc. stop supplying device drivers for old versions of Windows then you could have a functional system but no way to get add-on devices running. Vendors routinely cut off support a few years after Microsoft cuts off support.

If a motherboard is lost then unless you find an exact or near exact replacement of an old motherboard then when the existing hard drive is attached and the system restarted it could fail to boot because motherboard device drivers would be incompatible.

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

Back to the original question: While I, of course, don't know if VCarve will run on Windows 11 I would venture that it will.

Microsoft is very good at retaining compatibility for older software. For example, you could run Windows 3.1 (1992) programs all the way up to Windows 7 (2009), and perhaps later, but we went from Windows 7 to 10 so I can't verify it. That would be like running Apple Macintosh System 7 programs in OSX 10.7 Lion.

ken.gentry
Vectric Apprentice

Post by ken.gentry »

Well the Windows 11 debut came and went. The minimum CPU requirements mean it will exclude most desktop and laptop systems made before 2016. Another requirement is a TPM device. TPM is used to encrypt your hard disk for security. Many non-corporate laptops do not have a TPM device so these will never be able to run Windows 11. TPMs will likely begin shipping in all new systems soon.

Looks like a lot of people will be clinging to Windows 10 (or older) for a few more years until we replace laptops or desktops with newer CPU models and motherboards with TPM.

Peteg
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: HomeMade

Post by Peteg »

Don't get me started on windows 10, my loathing for it knows no bounds. Windows 11? well it can't be worse, can it? come back windows 7, I liked you, you worked.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

ken.gentry wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:52 pm
Well the Windows 11 debut came and went. The minimum CPU requirements mean it will exclude most desktop and laptop systems made before 2016. Another requirement is a TPM device. TPM is used to encrypt your hard disk for security. Many non-corporate laptops do not have a TPM device so these will never be able to run Windows 11. TPMs will likely begin shipping in all new systems soon.

Looks like a lot of people will be clinging to Windows 10 (or older) for a few more years until we replace laptops or desktops with newer CPU models and motherboards with TPM.
Although my desktop CPU isn't supported in the list which would mean a change of machine in order to run windows 11 that isn't the thing that puts me off the most, I don't want to have a microsoft account & from what I have read I will have to have one in order to run windows 11.

rockytoptim
Model of CNC Machine: Onefinity Woodworker

Post by rockytoptim »

I just installed on Vectro Pro 10.5 on pre-release Windows 11. It installed fine. I didn't try to do anyting in Vcarve pro on it yet. But it does install. See screenshot below
Windows 11.PNG