How can I cut letters on a dowel with Desktop

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
hlanfear
Model of CNC Machine: Piranha XL

How can I cut letters on a dowel with Desktop

Post by hlanfear »

I'd like to cut some words on essentially a dowel (a handle on a larger piece) and have looked for a 3D file I can use as a base model to cut over. Is there a way this can be done on Desktop? Thanks much, H

scottp55
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopbotDesktop 5.5"Z/spindle/VCP11.5

Re: How can I cut letters on a dowel with Desktop

Post by scottp55 »

Possibly use the circular 3DTab in the clipart to use as a model
so you can VCarve with "Project onto 3D"?
3D Tab CIRCULAR maybe.jpg
Maybe you can get it close enough to the object's actual size to use it?
I've learned my lesson well. You can't please everyone,so you have to please yourself
R.N.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Is this something you have created or toolpather in Desktop or a part you already have?
The only way I know of with vcarve is to either import a 3D model or use something like the 3D tabs as Scott has mentioned, only reason I asked if it was something created in the software was because it may be easier to get the shape you require if you have the info on the shape size & the actual curve :lol: :lol:

hlanfear
Model of CNC Machine: Piranha XL

Post by hlanfear »

Thank you Scott and Martin;
That is EXACTLY what I was looking for! I never thought to look at 'Tabs' and saw no reference to it in the many, many training videos I watched. Obviously, I was not looking in the right spots.

I wanted to engrave some names on some hand-carved articles I made and this is perfect. Thanks again, Harold

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

hlanfear wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:54 pm
Thank you Scott and Martin;
That is EXACTLY what I was looking for! I never thought to look at 'Tabs' and saw no reference to it in the many, many training videos I watched. Obviously, I was not looking in the right spots.

I wanted to engrave some names on some hand-carved articles I made and this is perfect. Thanks again, Harold
I doubt you will find anything in the official training videos about using tabs in this way, reason for that is basically because it's not what they were designed for :lol: :lol: You may find something if you look at someone like Mark Lindsay but I couldn't say for sure.

The software is often used by people in ways that it wasn't really designed to work & a lot of those ideas end up being shared on the forum by the users. Probably the best example of something like that is the Zank inlay technique. There is a lot of very useful info on the forum & I would suggest you use it as part of your learning experience not instead of the training tutorials but as an extra aid :lol: :lol:

SteveNelson46
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Camaster Stinger 1

Post by SteveNelson46 »

David (Vectric) used tabs for the spirals in the Barley Twist Table project by resizing them in height and length.The video may not apply to what you are doing but it may give you some insight on how they can be used.

https://portal.vectric.com/content/p/BarleyTwistTable
Steve