Removing pass lines from sides of pocket

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
jenordyke
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: OneFinity

Removing pass lines from sides of pocket

Post by jenordyke »

Forgive me, I am sure this has been asked a zillion times but I can't find the answer when searching...I would have thought that using a pocket allowance, a raster strategy, and a "last" profile pass in a 2d pocketing would eliminate the pass lines on the walls of the pocket by taking the allowance with a full depth cut at the end of the toolpath, but I find that I get a profile cut at the end of each pass...that still leaves lines on the pocket walls. Am I missing something in pocketing setup, or is it on me to undercut the pocket and then construct a separate, single-full-depth profile pass at the actual pocket dimensions?

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Re: Removing pass lines from sides of pocket

Post by adze_cnc »

The raster Pocket toolpath has an option to cut a profile pass first, last, or never.

jenordyke
Vectric Apprentice

Post by jenordyke »

Yes, I know...I am using raster and profile pass last. But it is a profile cut at the end of each pass, not a single full-depth profile once the pocket is at depth, thus still leaving lines on pocket side walls.

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

You could leave a couple of thou in the pocket for finishing both on the bottom and on the sides. Then you could make a new pocket toolpath and set your cut depth to the full pocket depth. Combine the two tool paths into a single post file and you will get exactly what you are asking for.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

jenordyke
Vectric Apprentice

Post by jenordyke »

Thanks for confirming I wasn't missing some feature or parameter in Vcarve Pro. This afternoon I was successful with an idea I had last night....I pocketed as normal with multiple passes, then used the same pocketing vector and "lied" to Vcarve, telling it my .250 bit was only .247, and ran one profile pass on the vector at full depth. Worked!