Profile Toolpath Dilemma

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
LGiannone
Model of CNC Machine: MillRight X-Carve

Profile Toolpath Dilemma

Post by LGiannone »

I created a plaque which has carved out fine and in my design I used the "boundary create" function to create a vector around the design. I then selected the profile tool path to carve the plaque out of the piece of wood. here are my settings.

Material is .75
Cut depth is .77
Tool is an 1/8" End Mill, cutting length is 1 1/4" overall length is 2 2/12" 1/4 inch shank
Machine vectors is set to outside.
I have 5 tabs on the profile.
No other settings.

Zero position is on the Material surface and I use a Zero Plate to set the "Z" setting
XY settings are at the front left corner of the material

So here is my dilemma...

To tool cuts fine around all the edges except that it continues downward past the .77 setting and chips away the tabs as it moves along because it is cutting so low and even though it jogs up at the tab locations it is not enough and to tool tears through them and frees up my design while it is still cutting. Of course the computer preview looks perfect.

I was lucky enough to stop the process before the plague got damaged but I have two more to do and don't want the same thing to happen.

Any suggestions or help on this is very much appreciated.

Larry

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Re: Profile Toolpath Delimma

Post by garylmast »

Is this a double sided project? Double check to see if you have a negative amount in the limit plane. If it is, you don't do a profile cut. It would be better to let us know more about the project.

Gary

LGiannone

Post by LGiannone »

Thanks Gary...No it is a single sided project 11 x11 Piece of 3/4 pine. Basically a shield that I am trying to cut out. And there is no negative number in the plane setting.

I have attached a link to the file for your review

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ng5n1jrg5je29 ... e.crv?dl=0

Larry

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

If it's cutting past the amount set and then isn't retracting enough it sounds like you're losing steps on the Z axis. Check for binding, loose couplings etc.

Everything in the file looks ok to me. Only thing I would do differently is have a ramp on the profile cut rather than straight plunges but they are very shallow passes already so shouldn't be an issue.

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

You say that the cut is shearing off the tabs but you don’t specificy how much it’s going into the spoilboard. Is the cut overcutting into the spoilboard by the amount of the tab thickness?

LGiannone

Post by LGiannone »

It cut into the spoiler board about a 1/8 of an inch maybe a little more before I was able to stop it.

Larry

LGiannone

Re: Profile Toolpath Dilemma

Post by LGiannone »

Thanks to those who passed along your thoughts and tips. I wanted to update this post.

I completed my project. This time I set the cut depth twice. First at 0.60 and it did not cut through the board.. Then I made a second pass setting the cutting depth to 0.65. This time it cut through the board just so slightly and kept the tabs. I re-measured my board and confirmed that it was 0.75 thick. So all I can guess is that something was wrong in the G Code that was being sent to the machine. Anyway my settings are saved and I know what I need to do if I make this project again.

Thanks again,
Larry

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Re: Profile Toolpath Dilemma

Post by Leo »

It is highly unlikely that the GCode is faulty.

You should check to ensure that you zero plate is in fact setting zero correctly.

After you set Z zero with your plate you should be able to manually move your cutter to the surface that is supposed to be Z Zero and confirm that you DRO - Digital Read Out is displaying ZERO. If it is not - then your zero plate is not doing what it should be doing.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC