Carving Detail

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
LGiannone
Model of CNC Machine: MillRight X-Carve

Carving Detail

Post by LGiannone »

Hello to the group...I carved out a 3d model with a 1/8 ball tip and the detail could be better. Since I have not moved anything on the mill and I have saved the coordinates I am wondering if I can use a 1/32 ball nose v bit and re-run the toolpath if that would clean things up and enhance the detail. Is this a possibility or do you feel it would mess up the detail that is already cut on the model. Thanks in advance for your advice, I am still learning everyday on this.

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Re: Carving Detail

Post by adze_cnc »

By "carved" I presume the "Finishing Toolpath". By "1/32 ball nose v bit" I presume you really mean "tapered ball nose bit".

Of course, the tip should be able to get into areas where the 1/8" ball nose bit can't and thus improve the finish. The only spots it won't help much are those parts of the model that are more vertical than the tapered side angle.

How do you think that the smaller cutter might "mess up the detail that is already cut on the model"? If your material is very coarse and the details that haven't been cut by the 1/8" cutter are so fine that the 1/32" cutter will chip them out then sure it might cause problems.

LGiannone
Model of CNC Machine: MillRight X-Carve

Post by LGiannone »

You are correct on the bits...and thank you for the information. LG

scotttarnor
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Piranha XL , Shark HD520

Post by scotttarnor »

Make the new tool path with the 2nd bit you would like to use, color your original tool path black and your new tool path red and run the simulation, you will see how much improvement you can expect by the results, it will be red everywhere the 2nd bit removes material the first bit didn’t.
Scott T

@scottscnc