Shark SD 100 Spoilboard

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
jimwsmith
Model of CNC Machine: Next Wave SD100

Shark SD 100 Spoilboard

Post by jimwsmith »

Brand new at CNC. Attempting to build a spoil-board for my Next Wave Shark SD100. Should the dimensions in Vcarve be 12" X13" which is the travel, or should it be the same dimensions as the entire bed, which is 12 5/8' X 18"? If the dimensions are for the entire bed, do I need to move the 12" X 13" pattern, to the front of the bed? Also, which is the best material for the spoil-board - 1/2" or 3/4" MDF? Thank You for your help. Sorry to have a ask what seems like "simple questions."

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Re: Shark SD 100 Spoilboard

Post by martin54 »

question is what are you going to be doing with it :lol: :lol:
If you make it the same saze as the table then that will work ok for most things that you do but may give you prolems if you want to tile any jobs. Reason being that you can only surface a part of the board giving you a lip all the way round, that lip may give you problems with tiled jobs. Using just the machining area as your spoilboard may give you problems with fixing the spoilboard to the machine since you can't put the fastenings outside of the machining area :lol: :lol:
You could always make 2 one at each size at the price of MDF if thats what you are using :lol: :lol:
Just a quick add, the larger the bit you use then the further outside the limits of your machine movement you can machine so you could use & machine the full width of travel but probably not the full length :lol:

What sort of hold down are you going to be using? 3/4" will give you better hold down if using screws & allow you to surface the board a few times, price difference between the 2 I would think 3/4 inch would be a better option.

rink
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: OpenBuilds LEAD 1510 / VCarve Pro

Post by rink »

Good evening.
I just put a new spoil board on my Piranha with 12x13 work area. It’s the result of some experience with a few variations over the last couple yrs.

I’d be glad to share what I did (with 3/4” MDF) if you’d like. PM me, or I can post it here if others are interested. I’ll need to get the file in shape for public consumption before posting it. :)

It’s not what I’d call complicated, but there are a couple steps involved that may take some thinking if you’re completely new to CNC. Actually, now that I think about it, there’s a simple non-CNC workaround for those steps anyway.

BTW, you’ve come to the right place…there’s no better place than this forum to learn about CNC!

Thx, rink.
I want to be unique like everyone else.

jimwsmith
Model of CNC Machine: Next Wave SD100

Post by jimwsmith »

I apologize for taking so long to reply, just wasn’t sure how to do it. I would love to get your insight regarding the programming to surface my spoil-board. You mentioned a “file” that might be available. How can that be obtained? Really appreciate your help and input.

rink
Vectric Craftsman

Post by rink »

jimwsmith:
Good afternoon. Sorry for my delay.
I tried to attach the Vcarve file, but it's too large at a mere 6.1mb. If you want to PM me your email address, I'll be glad to send it to you with some instructions.

Everyone else:
Yes, I know...I could use dropbox or similar service, but I don't have any of those. :D

thx, rink.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

rink wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:45 pm

Everyone else:
Yes, I know...I could use dropbox or similar service, but I don't have any of those. :D

thx, rink.
Well worth getting one. They're priceless for off site backups IMO.

rink
Vectric Craftsman

Post by rink »

Indeed. I'm the one that's behind the times! I'm also one of the only 12 humans in the world that aren't on social media, haha!

Well...I'm on this forum. That's kind of social media. Somewhat. I guess. :)