Problem with Save-as on Mac/Parallels/VcarveDesk

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
mjmnz
Model of CNC Machine: Ox derivative

Problem with Save-as on Mac/Parallels/VcarveDesk

Post by mjmnz »

I have a recurring problem when using Save-as. I have been attempting to use Save-as as a form of version control but with my setup when clicking Save-as after an edit the save-as dialogue box doesn’t appear and a spinning icon appears. After a couple of minutes VCarve stops responding and the edit is lost. This happens with more than one design.

Is this a known issue? It is certainly frustrating and makes me reluctant to invest too much effort into VCarve.

My work around is to use a standard Save and then create and rename a duplicate as the most recent version. Seems to work okay.

System:
MacBook Pro 15 running Big Sur
Parallels with Win10
VCarve Desktop 10.5

Steps to reproduce:
1. Create a non-trivial design (eg 3D model based sign)
2. Save the design
3. Edit the design and save a couple of times
4. Do another change and click File/Save as
Expected result:
At 4, Save-as dialogue box opens immediately
Actual results
At 4, no Save-as dialogue box appears, a spinning busy icon appears, after a couple of minutes VCarve desktop is reported as not responding. VCarve has to be restarted and changes lost.

Tex_Lawrence
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko3XXL; JTech7W; V-CarvePro 11.554

Re: Problem with Save-as on Mac/Parallels/VcarveDesk

Post by Tex_Lawrence »

Version control is as unique as we all are, and I appreciate the report on a potential problem, but there is a versioning system right there on the Vcarve File menu that I've use at various stages in my project development.

File / Increment and Save (CTRL-ALT-S) will add a number at the end of your filename. I end all my filenames with "...2021-06-06-1.xxx", and Increment and Save just adjusts that last number for me.

This method seems to be the least intrusive method to me. (I've used others.)
Tex — Crooked Wood Products
Now there's a man with an open mind – you can feel the breeze from here.

mjmnz

Post by mjmnz »

Thank you @Tex_Lawrence - I hadn't noticed the "increment and save" option and will use it in future. I've just done a quick test on my system and there was no problem - so thanks for that tip and quick response.

The version control scenario was given to demonstrate the save-as problem I was seeing. I assume it is still an issue if it can be reproduced by others.

Maurice
Ōhope, New Zealand
https://makeandmend.nz

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

What version of Parallels are you running? Is it 100% compatible with M1 Macs?

Found on Parallels' "blog" for Parallels 16.5:
Up to 250% less energy used
So, instead of using, say, 100 watts it uses -150 watts?

naijin
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: home made

Post by naijin »

That problem does not only apply to Mac computers or V Carve 10, on one of my computers I still run V carve Pro in windows 7 and every time I create a file and I do a " Save AS " the same thing happens, the little blue circle goes round and round and nothing happens the program stops responding for a long time, then it will go back to the drawing or design page but the save as window is still blocking half the screen until I click the mouse a couple of times, this has been happening for the last two years or so. :? :?

Nick

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Never had the problem myself but I would be checking 3rd party anti-virus and backup programs to see if they're holding on to file handles etc.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Looking through previous posts on issues similar to this it might be worth checking that any anti-virus programs are not blocking a program called SandBoxedFileDialog that is used as part of the Save As process.

mjmnz

Post by mjmnz »

Hi, I'm still having the same problem. In fact today I had started editing a new design before saving and clicking the Save button generated the same behaviour. The main Vcarve window cannot be moved to expose the save dialogue box. The only solution seems to be quit Vcarve and start again. I'll take a look at the Parallels forums and see if there is anything similar with other Windows software that there is a workaround for. Given that others are experiencing similar problems, maybe it is a bug.

Any comments from Vectric?

Other information in response to previous comments:
1. I'm not using any firewall or anti-virus software on my machine - I'm very careful about what I do and after 15 years using a Mac I have always found the firewall/ant-virus solutions more of a pain than benefit. I know, it is a risk but in this case not the cause of the Vcarve save problem I am experiencing.

2. Mine is an Intel Quad core i7 not an M1 so that isn't the issue either.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

The forum is user to user & while Vectric do keep an eye on things it is possible they miss posts :lol: :lol:

If you have a problem that other users don't seem to be able to help with then you would be best contacting Vectric support directly :lol:

support@vectric.com

Personally I have never had a problem using "save as" but I am a windows user so don't have the same set up as you

Wayne Locke
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Shopbot

Post by Wayne Locke »

To see the dialogue box behind the VCarve window you can use the Com and up arrow to see all of the open windows. That works on my iMac but I tried it on my wife's MacBook last night and it did not seem to work. If you do a search you can find the the keystrokes on a MacBook to view all open windows. This may not solve your problem completely but does address part of it.

mjmnz

Post by mjmnz »

Thanks for the response @wayne

Your comment sent me seeking for a Windows equivalent of the Mac F3 Show desktop command/key and I discovered Task view. Yay I thought but alas, task view actually hides the file-save as dialogue window and only displays the parent. I guess I'll keep looking for the solution.