US Flag USMC EGA

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
UnitedCarvings
Model of CNC Machine: Stepcraft M700

US Flag USMC EGA

Post by UnitedCarvings »

After making the switch to a stepcraft using V-Carve Pro, I am trying to make a US Flag with a USMC EGA carved in it. I am having very unsuccessful results. I believe my settings are off. Trying to do the stars, the EGA and some text and they are all coming out poorly. Any advice out there as far as beginner settings for each of these elements?

UnitedCarvings

Re: US Flag USMC EGA

Post by UnitedCarvings »

I should have elaborated on my original post. I imported the stars and EGA as a DXF. From there I set up V carve tool paths and I just feel that I am not setting it up correctly.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

You need to attach the actual VCarve (CRV) file so we can see how you have everything setup. It's just guesswork otherwise as there are so many things that it could be.

UnitedCarvings

Post by UnitedCarvings »

I tried to but the file is too large.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

You can zip it or use a file sharing service such as dropbox and link it from there.

UnitedCarvings

Post by UnitedCarvings »

Here is my latest try at this. Everyone I talk to is telling me a 90 degree zero point bit. So to mimic that I just used a Amana RC-45711.
USFLAGMARINEEGA3.zip
(1.58 MiB) Downloaded 88 times

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

I'm guessing your main issue is with the text? That's very small text to cut with a 90 degree bit. If you hover the mouse over the VERBIAGE toolpath in the list you will see that the maximum depth it's cutting to is 0.04". You can either use larger text, switch to single line fonts with a profile toolpath or use a much more acute angle bit with the v-carve toolpath.

You've got a flat depth of 0.125 on the stars but they will cut faster and cleaner without that and to a depth 0.14. I personally would use a 60 degree bit there with stars that size.

Generally I think (without seeing a picture of what results you're actually getting) that most of your problems probably stem from using a bit that is too big an angle for the size of the vectors you're using.

I'd delete or hide the grouped vectors that you have on the symbol to clean things up a bit in the actual drawing. It's not used in any toolpaths anyway.

UnitedCarvings

Post by UnitedCarvings »

Main issue was with the ega itself. But yes the text as well. What depth would you set the ega at?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

You've set a flat depth on there of 3/100ths of a inch. That's barely going to scratch the surface. If you take the flat depth of it it will still only cut to a tenth of a inch.

You've also got an intersection on the EGA vectors that the validator is picking up but it's not affecting the toolpath.

UnitedCarvings

Post by UnitedCarvings »

So set it to .1 inches deep?

Sorry, new to this side of the cnc world.

UnitedCarvings

Post by UnitedCarvings »

Now I see....here is what I have for settings...

I didnt understand what you meant by this..."I'd delete or hide the grouped vectors that you have on the symbol to clean things up a bit in the actual drawing. It's not used in any toolpaths anyway."

Removed all the flat spots,

For the EGA I have a 90 degree bit
for the stars the 60 degree bit
the stripes the 1/4 bit
and switched the font to gothic (single line) and did a profile toolpath at a depth of .0625 using the 60 degree V bit.

How does all that sound?

Also should I use the 60 degree bit for the EGA as well?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

It all depends on how you want to look it really and what the material is. I personally would use a 60 degree bit for all the v-carving with the sizes of vectors you have.

On the symbol (the EGA toolpath) you have the vectors that you have associated with the toolpath. You also have another set of very similar vectors that are grouped on top of them. I would delete or hide that group as its doing nothing and, because you're manually associating the vectors with the toolpaths rather than using automatic layer association, it would be very easy to accidentally include those vectors if you were to reselect for that toolpath.

UnitedCarvings

Post by UnitedCarvings »

Thanks, but I don't understand how to find the extra vectors. Or delete the extra vectors.

Sorry, trying to learn as fast as I can here.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage

Post by Adrian »

Click on the vectors in the symbol. The ones in the toolpath are individual vectors that show as dotted lines when selected. When you click on the group it will show as a solid line and will include the whole symbol.

UnitedCarvings

Post by UnitedCarvings »

Sorry all I am seeing is dotted lines. I don't mean to make it painful. I'm looking in 2d view. Is there something I should click to find the group? I understand the intent I just don't know how to get there.