What finish to use?

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Aussie
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Robotics Model 8

What finish to use?

Post by Aussie »

Thank you Beki for the design.
Finished the bottom side at midnight last night ... ready to cutout, sand and finish over the weekend.
The dish is Bubinga, not sure what finish would be best, oil/wax/poly ?
Would appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks
Leaf Dish.jpg
Ron
Crafers Crafts

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Re: What finish to use?

Post by sharkcutup »

I would suggest taking a scrap piece and try a little of each to see which looks best in your eye sight!!!

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554

Aussie
Vectric Wizard

Post by Aussie »

sharkcutup wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:01 am
I would suggest taking a scrap piece and try a little of each to see which looks best in your eye sight!!!

Sharkcutup
Have done that using, Danish oil, Tung oil, cutting board oil.... they look very much the same, will try a few others tomorrow.
Ron
Crafers Crafts

rink
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: OpenBuilds LEAD 1510 / VCarve Pro

Post by rink »

Good evening.
I’m just completing a walnut table (non-CNC project) and I read recently about wiping varnish. So I’m trying that for the first time.

Essentially, oil-based polyurethane thinned with mineral spirits or paint thinner. It’s looking pretty good, but due to the thinness, it will take several coats. Benefits are no runs or brush marks. Here’s a link to the article that inspired me.

https://www.popularwoodworking.com/fini ... varnish-2/

Thx, rink.
I want to be unique like everyone else.

TomWS
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: OB Lead 1010, Mach3; OB C-Beam 1060 grbl

Post by TomWS »

IMO, oil finish is always a great choice on dark hardwoods IFF you have the time to let the finish cure. Oil finish is completely forgiveable (you put it on and discover tool marks? Sand it down and add some more oil) AND it soaks in and gives you the chatoyance that only a thin optical layer that matches the soaked in material can give you. Once hardened, buffs up nicely and looks beautiful. Need a fix cause it got scratched? No problem, do more of the same.

Plastic coatings do a great job of sealing. If you need that, then try to do it with top coat(s). But you won't repair it (easily anyway).

Got to get it to customer on Monday? Uh, Waterlox may do it. Krylon if you're really desperate.

Aussie
Vectric Wizard

Post by Aussie »

First coat of oil.... using cutting board oil not soaked in yet
Leaf Dish oil.jpg
Ron
Crafers Crafts

rink
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: OpenBuilds LEAD 1510 / VCarve Pro

Post by rink »

Very nice!
I want to be unique like everyone else.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

Looks very nice, I am a bit of a novice when it comes to things like finishes, it's a huge subject (well I think it is anyway :lol: )
I would probably have done something along the same lines as sharkcutup suggested & taken a few scrap pieces to try different types of finish, really need to start keeping a log of what I have tried with different types of wood & the results, one of those things that would help me but I never seem to get round to :lol:
I tend to buy something new just to experiment with so am starting to build up a small collection of different oils, waxes & varnishes..

At the moment I tend to look at not only the finish I desire but also the application & who it is going to. I may be a bit parenoid I am prepared to hold my hand up to that one :lol: :lol: but as I am trying to establish a Business I am trying to keep myself right as far as what I make goes, example of that might be something like this which is being used as a fruit bowl. If it were for myself then there are quite a few different finishes that I might consider but if it is something that I am selling to a customer then I would make sure I only considered food safe options which then limits you a bit :lol: :lol:

Aussie
Vectric Wizard

Post by Aussie »

martin54 wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:42 pm
Looks very nice, I am a bit of a novice when it comes to things like finishes, it's a huge subject (well I think it is anyway :lol: )
I would probably have done something along the same lines as sharkcutup suggested & taken a few scrap pieces to try different types of finish, really need to start keeping a log of what I have tried with different types of wood & the results, one of those things that would help me but I never seem to get round to :lol:
I tend to buy something new just to experiment with so am starting to build up a small collection of different oils, waxes & varnishes..

At the moment I tend to look at not only the finish I desire but also the application & who it is going to. I may be a bit parenoid I am prepared to hold my hand up to that one :lol: :lol: but as I am trying to establish a Business I am trying to keep myself right as far as what I make goes, example of that might be something like this which is being used as a fruit bowl. If it were for myself then there are quite a few different finishes that I might consider but if it is something that I am selling to a customer then I would make sure I only considered food safe options which then limits you a bit :lol: :lol:
Yep me too..... guess I am just lazy at sanding and finishing.... want to move on to a new project before I finish the existing one.
Would be tough to try and establish at business using a cnc glad mine is just an expensive hobby, laser is arriving in the next couple of weeks so making space for it....already have lots of projects in mind using the cnc and laser, have a 7watt laser for the cnc, it was ok but I need more power ...haha. Next on my list will be a UV printer need to save up a little more for that.
Ron
Crafers Crafts