Good bit to use on SpoilBoard ?

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Amerifax
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD4

Good bit to use on SpoilBoard ?

Post by Amerifax »

What is a good bit to use on spoil board? I prefer to use only Amana, but I am open. I would use it to create a countersink for the T-Nut. Then I also need to create the hole, centered on the countersunk. I'm using 1/4x20 bolts.
Bob
P.S. I'm as green as they come. Been sitting up my Shark 4HD Extended since 2018. Hope to get it running this week but then I have been saying that every week for 3 years, as my wife would say.

rink
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: OpenBuilds LEAD 1510 / VCarve Pro

Re: Good bit to use on SpoilBoard ?

Post by rink »

I’m not sure I understand exactly, but i have a Piranha and here are a couple thoughts:

For SURFACING my spoil board, I use a Whiteside bit. One inch diameter, three-wing cutter. Possibly #6210, maybe?

For DRILLING and COUNTER-BORING for the 1/4-20 nylon bolts, washers, and nuts that will attach the spoil board to the stock aluminum track bed, i simply use a 1/8” end mill. In VCarve, draw circles for the bolt and for the counter bore, set up pocketing toolpath for each at the appropriate depths. The bolt hole toolpath depth equal to the material height. The counter bore toolpath depth deep enough to hold the washer and nut.

Edit: By the way, my spoil board is 3/4” MDF.

Hope that helps.

Thx, rink.
I want to be unique like everyone else.

nmflyr
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko XXL

Post by nmflyr »

I found good info on Youtube for my spoil board. Stufftokeepyouentertained is the site. He has info on cutting out spoilboard, hold downs, survacing, etc. Plus there are TONS of other sites as well. Mark Lindsay's series helped me immensely.

Amerifax
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD4

Post by Amerifax »

Thank Thx. I believe I saw one of the videos that use the plastic bolt approach. If I can find it out take a second look at it and possibly go that route.

Stufftokeepyouentertained
I did a search on the above name and all I could find is some guy thrown down a couple of bucks and walking back and forth in the hallway. Was not able to find a YouTube video. I have in the past been able to find and review many of the spoilboard & wasteboard YouTube videos.
Bob

Thank you guys for taking the time.

rink
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: OpenBuilds LEAD 1510 / VCarve Pro

Post by rink »

Here’s a link.

I want to be unique like everyone else.