Profile cut tool path

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
jcatcmc
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark pro plus

Profile cut tool path

Post by jcatcmc »

Hi,

Is there any reason a ball nosed 1/4 " bit can`t be used to machine either inside or outside of the vector using a Profile tool path, although
the box is clearly checked it still only cuts on the vector. Luckily the job is not a write off. Moral of the story, `check the tool path in the 2 D drawing`.

John

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Re: Profile cut tool path

Post by TReischl »

I do it all the time, we need more info about what you are doing, include the .crv file if you can.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

jcatcmc

Post by jcatcmc »

Pretty simple really, I created a 280 mm Dia. circle, used a profile tool path with a 1/4 " end mill on the outside of the vector, at 10mm deep I decided I wanted a cove at the bottom, changed to a ball nose bit , adjusted the depth ( all other parameters unchanged ) hit the start button and it cut ON the vector .

I recalculated using inside/outside of vector setting ,using ball nose bit it cut on the vector , using a flat bottom end mill no problems . Easy enough to overcome, add the tool dia. to the circle dia. or keep it in the dark and just change bits

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Did you set a start depth with a shallow cut depth? A cut depth that is less than the radius of the ball nose bit for example.

jcatcmc

Post by jcatcmc »

Found the problem,the tool geometry was set at mm`s although the tool was described as a 1/4 " ball nose bit ) .25 mm instead of .250 " )
Thanks for your comments.