Export to Corel

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Aussie
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Robotics Model 8

Export to Corel

Post by Aussie »

I have ordered a 60 watt CO2 Laser delivery is 6 weeks :(
Totally new at using a laser, your advice would be appreciated.
Should I export my Vectors from Aspire to Corel for the laser and if so which file format is best to choose from or should I just print from Aspire.
Ron
Crafers Crafts

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Re: Export to Corel

Post by garylmast »

I have both a 60 watt and a 400 watt laser machines, that when I export from Aspire, it is as a "ai" file for the 60 watt and a "dxf" for the 400 watt. Both lasers will except a bitmap file.

Gary

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

Why do you think that you will need a Corel file?

Aussie
Vectric Wizard

Post by Aussie »

adze_cnc wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 4:03 pm
Why do you think that you will need a Corel file?
The sales guy demonstrated the laser printing from Corel using different coloured lines for engraving and cutting, if I can send the file to the laser from Aspire that would be better for me as I don’t need to learn another software program.
As I said I am new to all this.
Ron
Crafers Crafts

garylmast
Vectric Wizard

Post by garylmast »

The sales guy demonstrated the laser printing from Corel using different coloured lines for engraving and cutting, if I can send the file to the laser from Aspire that would be better for me as I don’t need to learn another software program.
As I said I am new to all this.
You should have software that comes with the laser which controls the laser and where you can import files such as dxf, ai files or bitmaps. Corel is just one software you can export those files from.

Gary

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard

Post by adze_cnc »

You don't specify the manufacturer for the laser so what follows will be from the viewpoint of our institution's current and previous laser.

Our current machine, from Trotec, uses its own custom printer driver to generate a job file for the machine. It can accept printing from Illustrator or Coreldraw (perhaps Inkscape but I've not tried that and I don't think the laser people here have either).

It wouldn't work from VCarve (or Aspire) as the general cutting specifications are laid out in the input file. For example, different line thicknesses govern how the output is interpreted (e.g. a line with a 0.001 point thickness is a through-cut line). VCarve output lines don't allow custom thicknesses. Also specific colours are mapped to the Trotec Job Control software's internal table of colours to determine cut order, power, speed, etc.

The best I could do with VCarve would be to export the vectors as an SVG files (to preserve layer colours). Then import that into Illustrator to adjust line thicknesses, add fills for engraving, assure an RCG colour-space, etc., then print from there.

Our previous machine was an Epilog laser. It used a custom version of a CorelDraw-based sign making program used by the vinyl sign cutting people. It had a wider variety of input file options (Corel, Illustrator, AutoCAD, Photoshop). You'd import the file into the sign-making program and specify the cutting parameters there.

Real Mercier
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot Desktop MAX

Post by Real Mercier »

This is my first post so take the info for you think it is worth.

I have both a 50W Epilog laser and a Shopbot router. I have had the laser longer than the router. I use a standard version of CorelDraw with the laser and V Carve Pro with the router. Both softwares are excellent. I often use CorelDraw for design and export as EPS for import to V Carve Pro. Very easy.

Adze is correct in the line thickness specification. A line less than .007" thick will be a vector cut line, a line over .007" think will be a raster print line. Also as Adze says, the color map will allow setting the speed, power and other parameters. I haven't looked into the V Carve laser module so I can't say how it works.

Both softwares have a lot of similarities which should lessen the learning curve. But they have their differences also.

Hope that helps.
Real Mercier

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

:::shrug:::: I would just do the drawing for the laser in Corel. But hey, that is me.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

Aussie
Vectric Wizard

Post by Aussie »

adze_cnc wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 5:32 pm
You don't specify the manufacturer for the laser so what follows will be from the viewpoint of our institution's current and previous laser.

Our current machine, from Trotec, uses its own custom printer driver to generate a job file for the machine. It can accept printing from Illustrator or Coreldraw (perhaps Inkscape but I've not tried that and I don't think the laser people here have either).

It wouldn't work from VCarve (or Aspire) as the general cutting specifications are laid out in the input file. For example, different line thicknesses govern how the output is interpreted (e.g. a line with a 0.001 point thickness is a through-cut line). VCarve output lines don't allow custom thicknesses. Also specific colours are mapped to the Trotec Job Control software's internal table of colours to determine cut order, power, speed, etc.

The best I could do with VCarve would be to export the vectors as an SVG files (to preserve layer colours). Then import that into Illustrator to adjust line thicknesses, add fills for engraving, assure an RCG colour-space, etc., then print from there.

Our previous machine was an Epilog laser. It used a custom version of a CorelDraw-based sign making program used by the vinyl sign cutting people. It had a wider variety of input file options (Corel, Illustrator, AutoCAD, Photoshop). You'd import the file into the sign-making program and specify the cutting parameters there.
The laser I have purchased is a Trotec Q400 (new model) it does use job control software I don't have a copy of this yet as I don't have the laser yet waiting for a 6 week delivery. I can't download job control until I have a serial number.
Going to a open house at Trotec tomorrow so will ask lots of questions.
Thank you for your reply.

Ron
Ron
Crafers Crafts

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard

Post by adze_cnc »

I don’t use our laser as much as I’d like. The few times that I have used it I’ve found this resource from SAIC in Chicago, IL to be useful. https://sites.saic.edu/aoc/laser-cuttin ... materials/

Be aware that they have a Speedy400 120 watt laer so their values will be different than what your might need to be. It’s just nice to see what materials can and can not be used and it's a good starting point for settings.