Creating a set of diagonals inside a box

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
ricklach
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: 1510 Workbee/5'x10 Colossus (home Built)

Creating a set of diagonals inside a box

Post by ricklach »

I have tried to create a set of diagonal lines inside a rectangular box without much success using a number of tools. Basically, I want a simple rectangular shape with parallel diagonal lines that intersect in the middle. I want to be able to remove stock from the four triangles that are produced by the shape. There must be an easy way to do that - any help would be appreciated. Using VCarve Pro.

FixitMike
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark Pro Plus (retired)

Re: Creating a set of diagonals inside a box

Post by FixitMike »

Can you post a picture that shows what you are trying to do? I'm a little confused by your description, because, by definition parallel lines do not intersect, ever.
If you are trying to cut out separate pockets, note that each pocket has to be a separate closed vector. More than one can be selected for a single pocket toolpath, but they should not overlap. When I am working with multiple vectors, it often helps to put them on separate layers.
Good judgement comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgement.

ricklach
Vectric Apprentice

Post by ricklach »

This flag less the symbol in the middle top would be a good example. I want to cut out each of the white triangles and leave the red stripes
flag.png
flag.png (2.1 KiB) Viewed 2639 times

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

Think of it as four separate triangles rather than a rectangle with lines. If you're using a pocket toolpath then you need closed vectors surrounding each area you want to cut out and from the way you describe the way you did it you won't have that. If you're just cutting those areas out rather than pocketing them then you can just use a profile cut on the open vectors.

joeporter
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot Buddy Standard

Post by joeporter »

You can draw your rectangle and stretch a diagonal from corner to corner. Then highlight one of the diagonals and go to the "Offset" box and choose a number that is one half the total width you want and delete the original. Do this for each diagonal....The rest of your project may require a little more thought and multiple layers like Mike has suggested...joe

ricklach
Vectric Apprentice

Post by ricklach »

Thank you for your suggestions. I used a combination of ideas and was able to produce the result I wanted. As a follow on question - I have not made this piece a two sided piece, but if I wanted to use the same tool path on the other side by just flipping the piece (which is symmetrical) and registered at the same point - Can I do that without the law of unintended consequences kicking in?

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

ricklach wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 7:08 pm
Thank you for your suggestions. I used a combination of ideas and was able to produce the result I wanted. As a follow on question - I have not made this piece a two sided piece, but if I wanted to use the same tool path on the other side by just flipping the piece (which is symmetrical) and registered at the same point - Can I do that without the law of unintended consequences kicking in?
Yes & no :lol: :lol:

You can in theory but in practice it is never quite as easy, depending on how accurate your material sizing is, how accurately you place the part back on the machine, how accurate your zeroing of the axis is, deflection on the machine etc etc errors can be introduced.
If you haven't already started cutting then you can quite easily convert the job to a double sided job just by going back to the set up screen & changing the job properties.

ricklach
Vectric Apprentice

Post by ricklach »

Thanks Martin, that is useful and I will follow your advice.

rink
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: OpenBuilds LEAD 1510 / VCarve Pro

Post by rink »

joeporter wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 5:12 pm
...Then highlight one of the diagonals and go to the "Offset" box and choose a number that is one half the total width you want and delete the original. ...joe
Good morning.
I was unable to find an "Offset" box after selecting a line on my drawing. I'm using VCarve Desktop 10.514. Is it available in my version or only in Pro?
Thx, rink.
I want to be unique like everyone else.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

rink wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 3:46 pm
Good morning.
I was unable to find an "Offset" box after selecting a line on my drawing. I'm using VCarve Desktop 10.514. Is it available in my version or only in Pro?
Thx, rink.
Offset is the first tool in the row under Offset and Layout on the Drawing tab.

rink
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: OpenBuilds LEAD 1510 / VCarve Pro

Post by rink »

Right you are, of course!

My bad paradigm…I had only ever considered “that” Offset tool in the context of closed vectors. It never crossed my mind that it would function for open vectors (e.g. straight lines). When I read the post, I just immediately assumed it was referring to some “other” Offset tool.

And that’s how brilliant I am! Geez.

Thanks for helping me learn something new.

Thx, rink.
I want to be unique like everyone else.