VCarve Initials on dish

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
WoodStudioIA
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: ShopSabre 23

VCarve Initials on dish

Post by WoodStudioIA »

Trying to VCarve initials (MHB) on the bottom of the dish of the ashtray. Picture attached.

The problem is that even with setting the flat depth to 0.1" and also tried 0.01" but the carve goes 0.29" below the surface of the dish. Way too deep since it distorts the letters then. Just want a shallow carve of the initials.

Using a 90 degree V carve bit. Checked the "Project Toolpath on 3D Model" box in the toolpath set up window. (Picture attached).

Any assistance appreciated since I cant figure this out.
Attachments
Ashtray.PNG
toolpath.PNG

highpockets
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: PDJ Pilot Pro

Re: VCarve Initials on dish

Post by highpockets »

Image 1016.png
Image 1017.png
John
Maker of Chips

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

The question of the day should be: what 3D model is the toolpath being projected to? Is the bowl of the ashtray a 3D model that can be projected to.

For example: if the bowl of the ashtray created via a moulding toolpath it's not a 3D model that something can be projected to.

WoodStudioIA
Vectric Apprentice
Model of CNC Machine: ShopSabre 23

Post by WoodStudioIA »

After searching the VCarve manual I found the answer. When carving onto a 3D model, the carve will start at the depth set in the "Model Position in Material" in the Material Setup of the toolpath tab. I did not have the "gap above model" at Zero, in fact it was at .28" so that is why the carve was so deep.
I changed to model position in material to zero and it worked fine. The model position was set for a previous project so it is a lesson to be sure to check the Tool Path Material set up tab on every new job. Duh!
Everyday we learn something!
Joe