Tool Database

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Luvtocarve
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Next Wave Piranha XL

Tool Database

Post by Luvtocarve »

I added a Whiteside tool to my tool database and now every time I start a new toolpath I'm being reminded my tool database is out of date. I'm a little hesitant to update for fear of loosing all of the tool settings I have added. Should I update or will I loose "my" tools? If i'm going to loose my stuff I don't want to do it. Is there a way to shut off reminder prompt?

Thanks,
Attachments
Tool Notice.png
Steve Harp
Wadsworth, Ohio USA
www.trlw.us

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Re: Tool Database

Post by adze_cnc »

I see the tool database is listed as being stored "Online".

The question becomes: is the online storage out of date and in need of updating (because you've added a new tool)? Or will the program try to pull information from online to update you local copy (as you fear)?

The software could be a bit more specific...

Luvtocarve
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Luvtocarve »

I must have hit a button to store online. Don’t really want that option. Can I simply click it again to shut that down?
Steve Harp
Wadsworth, Ohio USA
www.trlw.us

Luvtocarve
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Luvtocarve »

Well I obviously don’t know how to spell lose so it’s a good thing I’m better in the workshop than in a spelling bee.
:oops: :oops: :oops:
Steve Harp
Wadsworth, Ohio USA
www.trlw.us

TomWS
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: OB Lead 1010, Mach3; OB C-Beam 1060 grbl

Post by TomWS »

I don't know the answer to your question, but, if I were in your shoes, I would definitely export my tool database to a unique name before doing anything!

Luvtocarve
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Luvtocarve »

I emailed Vectric support on this question and received the response below. Looks like Ver. 10 users have the option to upload/download their personal tool data to the Vectric server so it is not lost. This can be done by logging in to your Vectric account by opening the tool data display and clicking on the "online" button located at the top/center of the tool display. You will be prompted to log in to your account. You simply upload your tool data to their server and then keep it updated when prompted as you make changes. Then, it is always available to download in case of unwanted changes made by accident or errors. The software also backs up the tool data when you exit the program for further safeguard. See below the response from Vectric.

From what it sounds like Steve I would say that you can upload your tool data and be confident that you will not have an issue here.
But because you are a version 10 customer we added an auto backup feature which should be running all the time anyway.
I have attached with this email a video showing how to revert the tool data in your software back to its original default settings but you can use the same process to get a tool from the backup folder.
In the Program Data folder you will see that there is a folder called "Backups" if you go into this folder and then into the tool database folder there will be a series of dated files.
If you take a copy of one of these files and then take it into the main tool database folder and the rename it as I do in this video you should find the database goes back to the date that was named on the file.
So I would do and upload and a download of the tool database and hopefully the message should cease and if you do find out that the download has removed tools you can simply manually revert back yourself by using the backup folder files.

https://vectric.zendesk.com/attachments ... TABASE.mp4

Steve Harp
Wadsworth, Ohio USA
www.trlw.us

davidclark
Model of CNC Machine: Shapoko 5Pro

Post by davidclark »

I get this annoying message every time I open the database to select a tool. I have tried uploading the database, downloading the database and ignoring the message. Doesn't matter. Same message every time. I'm running the latest version of Vcarve Pro. If this isn't a bug, I would like someone to tell me how to put a stop to this.

Luvtocarve
Vectric Craftsman

Post by Luvtocarve »

I was able to clear the message by simply hitting the button at the top of the tool database window. You will need to log in to your VECTRIC account, not your forum account, so your tool data set can be uploaded to the Vectric server for safe backup storage. My understanding is you can then download it if you ever have a crash or accidentally screw it up so you don’t lose your existing. If you add a tool or make a change it will start prompting you again to upload the newest copy so it is always the latest and greatest.
Attachments
50BDECF9-D6FB-4D77-B36D-56510954F6EE.jpeg
Steve Harp
Wadsworth, Ohio USA
www.trlw.us

Tex_Lawrence
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shapeoko3XXL; JTech7W; V-CarvePro 11.554

Post by Tex_Lawrence »

Vectric is good about obfuscation in some aspects of their software.

The words "... Would you like to update?" sort of imply some sort of synchronization between your local file and the Vectric storage location.

The simple explanation is that the tool database is just copied to Vectric. Its a one way operation.

Downloading to your system is strictly manual and only done by you.
Tex — Crooked Wood Products
Now there's a man with an open mind – you can feel the breeze from here.

ohiolyons
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna IQ

Post by ohiolyons »

WOW, Vectric you really created a great "feature" now undue it or allow us to opt out.

Great concept, but after the first upload and if I don't make any changes to my tool database it shouldn't ask me the question! Especially EVEYTIME I select a tool!

Select a tool it said i was out out of date, so I downloaded it from the server. 10 seconds later on the the next tool selection it said I was out of date.

So in case you missed it feature is sarcastic. What were you thinking?

I'm going to warn the 3 CNC User's groups (Milwaukee, Dayton and Cincinnati) I belong to not to select this option.
John Lyons
CNC in Kettering, Ohio

CRV
Vectric Alumni
Model of CNC Machine: N/A

Post by CRV »

Hello everyone. I am sorry about the current issue that we are having with the Tool Database.

The issue is on our end and our team here are working hard to fix this issue as soon as possible.

We are near a solution on this issue as we have narrowed down what is causing it and as soon as our team can they will make the changes required.

Sorry once again for the inconvenience.

Chris

sharkcutup
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Shark HD3 Pro Extended Bed with Spindle

Post by sharkcutup »

WHY?

This is a convenient backup/storage location for your tool database. I have no problem with it. I make a change to my tool database it asks me if I want to update the file in storage this way both files (my computer and in storage) are always the same. If I ever have a problem with my computer tool database I have a backup conveniently available at my Vectric portal via the tool database online feature within my V-Carve Pro software. Been using it ever since it became available. I commend Vectric for their efforts in creating this valuable feature and the availability of a place to store the tool database file!!!

Sharkcutup
V-Carve Pro Tips, Gadget Tips & Videos
YouTube Channel - Sharkcutup CNC
V-Carve Pro 11.554

ohiolyons
Vectric Wizard

Post by ohiolyons »

It asks every time you select a tool even when you haven't made any changes.

If you create 6 toolpaths and change which tool will be used in that toolpath you get this asked of you 6 times. When no changes have been made to the tool database.

How can my tool database need updating when I haven't made any changes?
John Lyons
CNC in Kettering, Ohio

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Post by adze_cnc »

Until Vectric clears this up (as mentioned a couple of posts above) how about turning off the Online setting temporarily?

You could turn it back on just before you make a change to the tool database then turn it back off after it syncs.

ohiolyons
Vectric Wizard

Post by ohiolyons »

How do you turn it off?
John Lyons
CNC in Kettering, Ohio