Why am I loosing file information?

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
GEdward
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: 24 X 36 3 Axis

Why am I loosing file information?

Post by GEdward »

From time to time I find that information on some layers of a project just disappears. At first I attributed it to having too many layers, sometimes I get carried away making "options", or I was not saving changes often enough. So I now keep my project size down to 6 or 7 layers and I save after every new tool path. That strategy is not working. Here are two examples of my issue.
Screenshot (76).png
Screenshot (77).png

Both files have lost the information on the respective layers that was used to generate the tool paths that created the preview images you see on the right. The drop down window displays the layers with the layers lighted that should have the information relative to the tool paths used to create the previews. This issue has come up in both version 9.5 desktop, my previous version, and in 10.5 as displayed here. It is more than a little irritating to have to go back and completely rebuild a project from scratch if I want to make a simple modification like say, reposition the dog in the second example. I have no dog, or pheasant or reeds to work with. What am I doing wrong?

Ed

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Re: Why am I loosing file information?

Post by adze_cnc »

There really is not enough information presented to make an informed guess about why you are losing info.

But my 1st guess would be that you have vectors on different layers that are grouped together. Vectric’s grouping command moves all vectors to one layer. Ungrouping the vectors places them back on their respective layers. To me that’s the grouping command’s biggest failure.

But that’s just me loosing an arrow from my guess bow.

gregk
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: None

Post by gregk »

adze_cnc wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:20 pm
But my 1st guess would be that you have vectors on different layers that are grouped together. Vectric’s grouping command moves all vectors to one layer. Ungrouping the vectors places them back on their respective layers. To me that’s the grouping command’s biggest failure.
It is also possible to ungroup to the group's layer. You can access that option either from the context menu, or by pressing Ctrl + U. I hope this helps.

Greg K

GEdward
Vectric Craftsman

Post by GEdward »

But that’s just me loosing an arrow from my guess bow.
You wouldn't be making fun of my spelling would you?? :oops: Loosing is losing with a German accent. :roll:
Thanks for the reply though. But the 3D composites are gone. The images are from Design & Make. There is nothing to "ungroup" as far as I can see.

Ed

GEdward
Vectric Craftsman

Post by GEdward »

In the Pheasant and Pointer project I realized that somehow the grass got put in front. I moved it to the back and all is well with that one. Embarrassingly simple. :oops: But I am not finding any solution to the other project...yet.

Ed

gregk
Vectric Staff

Post by gregk »

GEdward wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:23 pm
In the Pheasant and Pointer project I realized that somehow the grass got put in front. I moved it to the back and all is well with that one. Embarrassingly simple. :oops: But I am not finding any solution to the other project...yet.

Ed
You have a layer called 'flourish oval dish' that is invisible. Try to make it visible. It may also be worth checking the component tree on Modelling tab as components/Levels can be made invisible here as well.

Greg K

GEdward
Vectric Craftsman

Post by GEdward »

Yep; but with a caveat. The flourishes don't show up unless they are highlighted in the component tree.
Not highlighted...no show.
Not highlighted...no show.
Highlighted and there they are!
Highlighted and there they are!
Not sure why that is but I am glad that my work has not been lost. Thanks.

Ed

gregk
Vectric Staff

Post by gregk »

You can right click on the flourish and from the context menu chose 'Move to Front'. You can also click on the oval component and select 'Move to Back'.

Greg K

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

Ed,

You can adjust the 2D visibility ordering of your models at any time. Make sure they are all on the same Layer (not Level), first. Then...

Select a model and then right-click to display the pop-up menu. You will see a couple options for visibility ordering: Move to Front and Move to Back

In your case, select the “dome model” and move to back.

EDIT: Ahh. Just saw that Greg K beat me, but now you know exactly what to do!
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

mtylerfl
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: -CarveWright CNC -ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha

Post by mtylerfl »

Ed, by the way, if you really, really want to have each model on it's own designated Layer (separate from others), then you can change the 2D visibility order by changing the Layer order in the Layer List.

I typically put all my models on one Layer - but not always. Some complex model composition elements I create while working, are organized on separate Layers (but afterwards are often finally placed on my Model Layer in the end, anyway).
Michael Tyler

facebook.com/carvebuddy

-CarveWright CNC
-ShopBot Buddy PRSAlpha CNC

GEdward
Vectric Craftsman

Post by GEdward »

Thanks Greg and thank you Mike for the layer separation tip. I do think I can get some use out of that.

Ed