Is there a way to control width of profile cut?

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
TomWS
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: OB Lead 1010, Mach3; OB C-Beam 1060 grbl

Is there a way to control width of profile cut?

Post by TomWS »

Without changing the bit, I'd like to make multiple passes on profile cut to clear out more material in the slot.

I have an object with a number of cuts requiring a 1/8 end mill. I have one edge that is concave and I want to clear out all the material within the curve. I know I can modify the drawing to make a vector that defines a 'pocket' outline and use that to clear out the region, but I could also do it simply by calling for a 5/16" wide cut from the 1/8" bit. I know I can do this in other software on their profile cut, but I didn't see any way to do it in VCarve.

Is there one?

adze_cnc
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: AXYZ 4008

Re: Is there a way to control width of profile cut?

Post by adze_cnc »

TomWS wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:29 pm
I know I can do this in other software on their profile cut, but I didn't see any way to do it in VCarve.
How does one do this in "other software"?

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

I know I can modify the drawing to make a vector that defines a 'pocket' outline and use that to clear out the region
That is the standard way to do it in Vectric products.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

TomWS
Vectric Wizard

Post by TomWS »

@adze_cnc, in other software you can pick cut width in addition to tool # (tool size). So, if I picked an 1/8" bit, but set the cut width to 5/16 it would cut multiple passes depending on the step over value.

@Rcnewcomb, thanks, that's sort of what I concluded but needed to confirm...

Interesting observation: In my first post in this thread and in my response, I referred to the 'other software' by name. The Forum bot changed both instances to "other software". I've never seen that behavior before. (I wonder if they'll change my spelling of behavior). I could be snarky and sneak in the name, but, being a newbie, I'm going to be on my best behavior - there, I used it again :wink:

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Post by TReischl »

LOL, it seems someone thinks if the software that "shall remain unamed" is never shown here none of us will ever learn about it. Guess someone has not quite figured out this is the internet and we can search for things. . .

I have use the "software that shall remain unamed" myself. In fact, spent a lot of time learning it. Like most things designed for industrial use it can be a little cumbersome. So, I found something else that works well for my design requirements but I still use Vectric for posting and fast edits if need be.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

The software who shall remain nameless...
VoldemortHeadshot_DHP1.png
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

jfederer
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: CanCam D23M

Post by jfederer »

Is this like "the Scottish play"? Can we avoid the curse by walking around the software three times, spitting over our left shoulder, and cursing?

Related, why is Adze suddenly an "Apprentice" again?
Joe Federer

www.fabrikisto.com incl. Tailmaker software
www.federer.ca

Phil
Vectric Wizard

Post by Phil »

You could run the profile toolpath more than once as needed. One run "On" the line, another "Outside" the line, and another "Inside" the line. Still curious how the "Other" software does it.
There was a movie from the 70's called "The Other" https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069050/

Phil

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

TReischl wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:35 am
LOL, it seems someone thinks if the software that "shall remain unamed" is never shown here none of us will ever learn about it. Guess someone has not quite figured out this is the internet and we can search for things. . .
Reading youtube comments, facebook comments and even forum posts it would seem that searching on the internet is a "skill" that eludes 99% of the population though.

TomWS
Vectric Wizard

Post by TomWS »

TReischl wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:35 am
I have use the "software that shall remain unamed" myself. In fact, spent a lot of time learning it. Like most things designed for industrial use it can be a little cumbersome. So, I found something else that works well for my design requirements but I still use Vectric for posting and fast edits if need be.
"It" had been my go-to CAM program with my earlier CNC setup, but, as I'm upgrading it seemed as if I'd be on a better track for 3D carving with VCarve. The other program didn't make the transition very smoothly IMO.

I'm glad y'all have a sense of humor. Good thing, otherwise I'd probably be banished for not taking things seriously enough :wink:

ger21
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: Custom DIY

Post by ger21 »

Make multiple profile cuts with an Allowance Offset.
Gerry - http://www.thecncwoodworker.com

TomWS
Vectric Wizard

Post by TomWS »

ger21 wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:27 pm
Make multiple profile cuts with an Allowance Offset.
Yeah, that would be pretty similar to what the other software would do, except, in that case it could be done as one operation.
I've bit the bullet and made a pocket, that will work fine and easy to do.

Kitwn
Model of CNC Machine: DIY 600 x 900

Post by Kitwn »

I've been searching the forum for a way to emulate the 'Cut Width' setting in "Other Software" (in which the letters 'C' and 'B' predominate) and this thread suggests that it just doesn't exist in a simple way. Having spent several years cutting my teeth on "Other Software" this option seem to be a no-brainer requirement, a fact which today's 30mm deep, 8mm wide cut has proved. The amount of time it took me to prize the compacted shavings out of the cut with a screwdriver leaves me amazed that the tool has not melted.

I thought Vcarve was a step up from "OS" but sometimes I wonder. It is very good, most of the time, and I'm using it for all my new projects, but for the money I'd expect glaring gaps like this one, and the lack of any search facility in the online help linked from the software to have been fixed years ago. "Other Software" despite being way cheaper, and having a pay-once-updates-for-life licence could teach Vectric quite a lot with regard to some features and especially in the supporting documentation. When version 12 comes out it could be a giant leap forward if they have the sense to employ someone with considerable "Other Software" experience to help with development.
OK, rant over. Back to using Vcarve for making my new guitar design. But I'm still not clear how to make a profile cut with a cut width 50% larger than the tool.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

The search facility in the Online help is the search of whatever browser you use. Switch to single page view first.

What a lot of people miss about the help is that it's fully interactive. If you click on an icon or menu in the screenshots then it will take you directly to that section.

To make a profile cut larger than the tool you use a pocket toolpath or multiple profile toolpaths with an offset. That's how it's done in VCarve.