Gerber Sabre 408

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
rbclayton84
Model of CNC Machine: Laguna tools Swift 4 x 8 router

Gerber Sabre 408

Post by rbclayton84 »

i have a Gerber Sabre 408 router,,, does Vectric make a post processor to run it?

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Re: Gerber Sabre 408

Post by Adrian »

Lots of threads about them here and on CNCZone. The issue isn't really the post processor rather than the control software needed to run them. Standard g-code runs on them if you can get the Gerber software to transfer the file as I understand it.

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

What control software are you running? If it's the original Gerber software it is Gerbers own proprietory software & as Adrian has said you need to convert the gcode, not sure how that is done because when I aquired my System 48 (spares or Repair) I went down the route of stripping out all the old electronics & replacing them with more up to date components. Lots of reasons for doing that. I did get the original gerber software with the machine but replacement parts were hard to come by & were very expensive.
If you have the Gerber design software then you should be able to output straight to the machine I think. :lol: :lol:

Mikehell
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: eBay special China 3040

Post by Mikehell »

Depends if your router has been upgraded to run g-code. If so, there is a post processor for it. You'll need to transfer the g-code to the gerber with a terminal program

andyl1000
Model of CNC Machine: Nomad 883Pro

Post by andyl1000 »

Can you elaborate on how to transfer a Vcarve toolpath so that a Gerber Sabre can read it? (Or point me to another thread that mentions the answer.)

Thank you.

andyl1000

Post by andyl1000 »

Hello,

Did you find a solution for getting your Sabre to use Vcarve toolpaths?
I'm looking at purchasing one, and would be curious as to your solution.
Thanks!

rbclayton84 wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:17 pm
i have a Gerber Sabre 408 router,,, does Vectric make a post processor to run it?

andyl1000

Post by andyl1000 »

Can you tell me which controller/ software you used to replace the original controller in your Gerber?
(Myself am looking at WinCNC).

Also, can you tell me which motors you upgraded to (if you upgraded those)?

Many thanks.

martin54 wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:39 pm
What control software are you running? If it's the original Gerber software it is Gerbers own proprietory software & as Adrian has said you need to convert the gcode, not sure how that is done because when I aquired my System 48 (spares or Repair) I went down the route of stripping out all the old electronics & replacing them with more up to date components. Lots of reasons for doing that. I did get the original gerber software with the machine but replacement parts were hard to come by & were very expensive.
If you have the Gerber design software then you should be able to output straight to the machine I think. :lol: :lol:

martin54
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: Gerber 48, Triac PC, Isel fixed gantry

Post by martin54 »

I replaced the whole control box, I did this 10 years ago (apparently). I didn't realise it was that long ago but it must have been because I joined this forum about the same time.
When I did this some of the more modern motion controllers were not available plus I wanted to have individual drivers for each axis rather than one board with the 3 drivers built in.
I started with a basic breakout board, 3 Leadshine AM882 drivers & mach3 under parallel port control, I wasn't originally going to change the stepper motors but when I started testing there was a problem with one of them (the old slosyn motors they used would lose magnetism over time) so I replaced all 3 of them. I was able to get nema 34 motors with a 3/8 inch shaft at that time so was a straight swap, I did have to watch which motors I fitted there isn't a lot of space for them without hacking bits out of the machine :lol: :lol:
The z axis used a smaller motor so that was replaced with a nema 23 motor BUT I did have to manufacture a plate to fit between the new motor & the z axis on the machine.

The porter cable router that was fitted was in serious need of rebuild & as spares were difficult to get I fitted a spindle & VFD.

Latter on I changed the breakout board & fitted a UC400 eth motion controller to get away from the parallel port control :lol: :lol:

I use UCCNC as my control software but that is because it suits my needs just now & I have their motion controller.

The base machine should be pretty solid so if it were me I wouldn't look at putting the cheapest components you can find in it. In theory you could probably have it up & running for less than a couple of hundred dollars if you did that but for me that wouldn't be a good investment.

Hopefully someone like Gary will see this & offer some quality advise. He is the real expert with this sort of thing :lol: :lol: