Retrieving files saved in post Processor

This forum is for general discussion regarding VCarve Pro
Paul Josey
Model of CNC Machine: Iconic 2015

Retrieving files saved in post Processor

Post by Paul Josey »

Hello all,
I'm relatively new to CNC. I have an Iconic 2015 and so far love it. However, when saving tool paths, the only option I have in "Type of File' is "Iconic ATV (mm) (.nc)" and I have no idea how to retrieve those files. Iconic ATV (mm) (.nc) doesn't come up as an option for type of file in my search. Can anyone help me with this. I can save them to a stick and carve them on the machine. But when I try to retrieve the files saved on my computer, I haven't been able to find them.

TReischl
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 8020 48X36X7 RP 2022 UCCNC Screenset

Re: Retrieving files saved in post Processor

Post by TReischl »

Try this, create a file, then when you save it take a look at the dialog box to see where it is going.
"If you see a good fight, get in it." Dr. Vernon Johns

Mark
Vectric Staff
Model of CNC Machine: CNC Shark, ShopBot, Roland PNC3000

Post by Mark »

Hello Paul,

Not sure what version of Windows you are using, but this should work with most recent versions.
Open a Windows File Explorer click on the drive where you saved the file (For Example C:).
In the Window Ribbon at the top, ensure that the "All subfolders" option is selected.
In the Search box type *.nc (Asterisk period nc) This might take some time depending on the size of your disk,
but should list all files with a .nc files extension.

I hope that this helps.

Cheers,

Mark.

Paul Josey

Post by Paul Josey »

Thanks for the responses. So I've located the files and when I open Vcarve, select "Create New File" then "Import Vectors" and go to the the file location, the files are not there. But doing a windows search, the files are in that location.

Adrian
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: ShopBot PRS Alpha 96x48

Post by Adrian »

You can't import a toolpath file into VCarve. When you create a toolpath file that is a set of instructions for the software that runs your CNC to use.

When you've finished creating a job in VCarve you use the Save/Save As icons/menu items which creates a CRV file and that is what you load back into VCarve if you want to make changes to the job and then you save another toolpath file to the CNC.

Paul Josey

Post by Paul Josey »

Yes. Just learned *.nc files cannot be opened and edited. I have been able to learn a lot about the ins and outs of CNC machining but admittedly know very little about the basic act of saving files on a computer.

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

Reviewing the CNC workflow can help you get comfortable with the order of the steps. CNC Workflow

CNC Workflow
Getting Started With CNC
When look at a complete CNC cut project from start to finish, you can identify a series of major steps that will form the “Workflow” to complete it. Having a good understanding of this process will help you start to appreciate where the different software packages and setup procedures fit into the overall creation of parts. Below is an overview of the different stages.

1. Concept
This represents the idea for what you are going to make. This may range from a specific customer requirement, something you have sketched on a napkin or a ready to go file that someone has already prepared (such as the free Vectric monthly projects). At this stage you should review what it is your making try and think through the other processes in the job to help to get the best approach to achieving it. You should also assemble any reference material you will use to help design the part such as photos, data from the customer, design sketches etc.

2. Design (CAD – Computer Aided Design)
For the design you need create the computer data that will define either the 2D or 3D forms you want to cut on your CNC. This is done in what is typically called “CAD software” (CAD = Computer Aided Design) and you may also hear this type of software referred to as a drafting, drawing or design program.

The finish point of the Design stage is to have prepared all the 2D data (Vectors) or 3D data (Components) you require to start calculating the specific movements the CNC machine will follow, these moves are typically referred to as the “Toolpaths”.

Most of our customers use one of the Vectric products (VCarve Pro or Aspire) to do their design although there are many other design (CAD) programs available for either 2D drawing or 3D modeling and depending on the file format export options available, this data can be saved and imported into the Vectric programs for Toolpath creation (CAM) which is discussed below.

3. Toolpaths (CAM – Computer Aided Manufacturing)
Once the design is complete, you will start to calculate the actual paths that will drive where the tool will move on the machine, as previously stated these are called “Toolpaths”. Creating your Toolpaths is the key stage in going from the virtual world of a computer design to the reality of the physical world.

At this point you will start to take into account the shape and size of the tool, the type of movement you want the tool to make (the shape you want it to leave in the material) and appropriate settings for how fast the tool can be moved and how much material can be removed safely.

Once the Toolpaths have been calculated the software will let you Preview how they will look in a virtual piece of material. This lets you check that they are doing what you expected. Once you are happy the Toolpaths are correct then they can be saved in a format that is appropriate for your particular CNC.

All Vectric software can be used to calculate toolpaths to drive a CNC. Each product is designed to work with different types of data depending what you plan to make. Visit the Learn About Vectric Page for information on the different products and their specific functionality.

4. Machining
Once your toolpaths have been saved then you transfer them over to the CNC either via a network, thumb drive or portable disk. At this stage you will need to adjust various settings and positions on your CNC to match the job setup you specified in the Design/Machining software. This will involve setting up your material in the right orientation, and making sure it will be secure while you’re cutting it. Then you need to load the correct tool and tell the machine where the X, Y and Z reference position is for the tool tip, typically this location represents the zero position for each axis.

Once the machine is setup correctly, the toolpath can be loaded and then executed from the CNC’s control software. The machine will feed the co-ordinates of the toolpath to the machine to continually move its position and create the cuts you setup in your toolpaths. Running a toolpath may take less than a minute or potentially many hours depending on what type of operation it is. Once it is complete, you can run additional toolpaths and if required change the tool and reset the Z zero datum position for the new tool. Once you have run all your toolpaths you can remove the material from the machine.

5. Finish and Assembly
Finish and assembly are obviously going to vary dramatically depending on the type of job you are doing and the material you are cutting. Some projects will be ready to use when they come off the machine without further finishing work being required, some may need sanding or additional hand-carving to get the final shape. Ultimately what your making may need priming and painting or multiple coats of stain or glaze to get the required coloring. The finished part may also require assembly, fastenings or glue if it involves multiple pieces. Ideally its good to spend some time thinking about this before you start a project as you may be able to use the software, tooling and CNC to optimize the amount of finishing required.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

Leo
Vectric Wizard
Model of CNC Machine: 1300 x 1300 x 254 Chinese Made

Post by Leo »

Paul,

Perhaps a little instruction on the terms, or jargon used in the CNC and program process can help.

In V-carve, what you do is to create something graphical. That is, what you see on the computer screen. The lines and curves that see are graphical representatives and they are called VECTORS. Those vectors are ONLY "seen" and ONLY appear on the computer screen.

Vectors cannot be seen at the machine and cannot do anything except to be seen by you on the computer screen. They do nothing at the machine.

Those vectors are converted into GCODE to be used by your machine. The GCODE is NOT vectors. The GCODE is ONLY used by the CNC machine and has nothing at all to do with your computer screen. The GCODE can be viewed as text. It looks something like this:

G01 X12.25 Y36.1 Z1.02
G00 Z4.0
G00 X15.00 Y32.8

Since VCarve is ONLY used to work with Vectors, is cannot recognise GCODE.

What a post processor is, is the software that converts the Vector into GCODE. It only works in ONE direction Vectors >>>>>> to >>>>>> GCODE

Maybe you already know this, but then maybe it helps a little as well.
Imagine the Possibilities of a Creative mind, combined with the functionality of CNC

Paul Josey

Post by Paul Josey »

Hey guys,
Thanks so much for all this info. You guys are great and suddenly I don't feel so isolated.

Rcnewcomb
Vectric Archimage
Model of CNC Machine: 24x36 GCnC/WinCNC with ATC

Post by Rcnewcomb »

You guys are great and suddenly I don't feel so isolated.
Each one of us here started at the beginning.

The journey is worth it.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out, another good day in the shop

rink
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: OpenBuilds LEAD 1510 / VCarve Pro

Post by rink »

Paul Josey wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:47 pm
Hey guys,
Thanks so much for all this info. You guys are great and suddenly I don't feel so isolated.
I've found this to be one of the best forums of any kind for getting solid help from real experts with lots of experience. Most everyone is very friendly and helpful.

Thx, rink.
I want to be unique like everyone else.

rig gap
Vectric Craftsman
Model of CNC Machine: Home built aluminum and steel 3 X 4 CNC

Post by rig gap »

Paul Josey wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:23 pm
Yes. Just learned *.nc files cannot be opened and edited. I have been able to learn a lot about the ins and outs of CNC machining but admittedly know very little about the basic act of saving files on a computer.
You can open and edit .nc files with a text editor like Wordpad...just right click the file and select "open with" and select Wordpad...don't use a word processing program like Word for Windows.